insulation between floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor joists are 100mmx75mm.I'm in process of putting 25mm ply down as it will be tiled over...Is it worth me putting insulation between joists as now would be easy to do? I was thinking rigid foil backed same depth size (100mm) with nails tapped below sideways into joist to keep them from dropping. Also. does it matter how tight fitting i fit the ply along the wall edge - is it best to leave a minimum gap?

Sponsored Links
I find your question "is it worth me putting insulation between joists ...?
rather odd.

Can you think of any reason not to ?

Do i fill between the floor joists with rigid insulation jablite which is the same depth as the joist (100mm) making it flush with underside of ply floor, or do i need to leave some sort of an air gap?

You can use whichever type of insulation you wish, however they all have the same requirement: there has to be something to hold it in place.

I favour fibre-wool* because it is cheap and you can cut it slightly oversize so that it completely fills the gap between the joists. Fixing is by nailing/stapling some kind of mesh across the underside of joists. If you use this*, paper-face upwards

If you choose some kind of board, you can cut it to be a friction fit between the joists but I don't know if that would hold long term: probably better to bang in a few nails to hold it up.

No air-gap, flush with top of joists.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back