Insulation in rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know similar questions have been asked before but I haven't found an exact answer so wonder if anyone can help.

I live in a (approx) 1935, 3 bed semi. There is no felt behind the tiles so it is quite draughty and dusty up in the loft. There is some sort of insulation between the rafters, the itchy kind, but some of it is falling down. I would like to install this stuff along the rafters to save a bit of heat (and mess):

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1254815759806&isSearch=true

My questioni is, should I leave the existing insulation in place? The current insulation is not very thick so should give at least a 50mm gap once the silver stuff is stapled to the rafters. I won't go completely to the eves so there will be ventilation.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You won't be losing anything by leaving the current insulation in place

Using the B+Q figs, this roll is equivalent to about 30 mm of mineral-wool so won't be a hue heat-gain.

Thanks for your help (or should I say merci? :D).

I was just a bit concerned about the current insulation pulling down the new stuff but I guess it's not that heavy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back