Insulation under slab wet in conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've built a conservatory and i'm almost complete although I have one hold-up.

Basically, the dwarf walls are done, floor slab laid, and i've even plastered and painted.

My next step was to lay 75mm insulation on top of the floor slab and then put T&G P5 on top and then finally finished flooring.

There is also 75mm insulation under the slab with a VCL between the insulation and slab. When the slab was laid, I also put perimeter insulation around it. Including below around what was the outside patio doors of the bungalow.

The issue I have is that having noticed the perimeter insulation in this area was wet a couple of months ago, I removed it to inspect and this area below the slab was very wet.

Since then, I have left the area exposed to dry it out and tried heating it a bit to aid the process.

Unfortunately from what I have noticed is that this seems to be formed by condensation only in this area.

It is a lot drier than it was, but still wet right on the surface between the bottom edge of the insulation and the DPC.

My question is, is this likely to go away if I were to just fill it in with concrete? and what is the worst that would happen? or do I need to look at insulating something else around this area?

Because there is a DPC under the insulation and a VCL on top, it will basically be trapped.

I think it is condensation because if I pull back the DPC in this area(which is not sealed against the house yet) I can see condensation running down the underside of the DPC. Its also worse sometimes than others.

I am wondering if this issue is caused because its exposed and perhaps I have caused it myself by including this perimeter insulation in this area.

There is a small possibility that this wetness is from winter months (around Jan 2016) when everything was uncovered and could be trapped water from then but due to the heat we had in the summer i'm not completely convinced it could still be from then and the roof was put on in the summer also.

Any advice would be great! Thank you

Sponsored Links
The slab can not have been suitably dry when you put the insulation on the top of it, trapping moisture. In day to day use you should not be getting any condensation down there in the floor.

The slab can not have been suitably dry when you put the insulation on the top of it

Woody, as I read it he's not yet put any insulation on top of the slab, and the dampness he's complaining about is underneath the slab, in another layer of insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back