Integrated fridge next to integrated dishwasher (or wall)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're considering layouts for a new kitchen, and would like to know whether it's possible (and sensible even if possible) to put an integrated fridge right next to an integrated dishwasher.

Not only does one cool and the other one get quite hot, but also I would imagine there might be difficulty in fixing the integrated appliances on the middle side if there is no adjacent cabinet to fix it to.

It's just that Howdens have produced a kitchen design with these two appliances next to one another, and am wondering if we should query it.

If not recommended, is it OK to put an integrated fridge next to a wall? It's possible we may have 20 or 30 mm to space the fridge away from the wall, but wonder whether the door would sensibly need to open more than it can when against a wall. Could hang the door to swing away from the wall, but doesn't seem practical.

Again, Howdens did produce an alternative plan with the fridge right up again the wall, but not sure whether that would work in practice.

Thanks!

Mike

Edit... P.S. anyone recommend a decent value integrated fridge (with icebox)? Seems you can get half decent freestanding fridges for £100, but for an equivalent integrated fridge, it's at least double that.

Sponsored Links
The integrated fridge will have its own cabinet so fixing shouldn't be a problem. Also no reason why you can't put the fridge next to a wall. The door will open within the cabinet profile but it would be best to have a small filler to stand it slightly off the wall. The door won't open more than 90 degrees because of the hinges of the cabinet itself.

My brother-in-law had a kitchen designed by Howdens a few years back and it was cr@p. They had planned units which half blocked access to the adjacent utility room. Bunch of muppets :rolleyes:

The integrated fridge is an undercounter fridge (I think they refer to them as "built under"??), and my understanding is that it doesn't have a cabinet... it just sits on the floor in a space between adjacent cabinets? May be wrong on that, but can't see any actual cabinet on the item listing from Howdens. Doesn't it just have a door fixed to the front, and the plinth running across the bottom, to make it "integrated"?

If that is the case, then would it need a cabinet next to it to fix it to, and not an integrated dishwasher which likewise wouldn't be in a cabinet?

And re being next to a wall, usually a fridge door is designed to open slightly more than 90 degrees to give easy access inside. My concern with being right up against a wall is that (with the handle) it won't even be opening 90 degrees. I would hope that Howdens would know roughly what the pitfalls are to avoid, but maybe not!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there is a difference between fully integrated and built-under/built-in, hence my reply above. A fully integrated fridge will have its own cabinet whereas a built-under is as you describe, so no cabinet. In contrast an integrated dishwasher (or washing machine) will not have a cabinet and has a door panel fixed to the appliance direct.

Therefore your concern about opening the fridge door may well be valid in this instance. Like I said, I don't have much faith in Howdens designs and it might be worth trying somewhere else for comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back