Intensive Courses - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont have a trade at present, not totally an office boy, have done a bit of plumbing, electrics etc - i want a career change from what i am doing at present, and have seen quite a few intensive courses advertised for plumbing, plastering etc.
The plastering one in particular would be useful for me as i am renovating a house and every room is in dire need of replastering at about £600 a time.
However, the courses range from 3 to 7 days for about £500, and i am just wondering whether they are a waste of time/money, or if i could be skilled in something after an intensive course.
Has anyone been on one? Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Just an observation, having attended quite a few 'intensive' courses over the years, although not in the building trades. These courses give you the technical knowledge in order to carry out specific tasks, you become skilled by putting this knowledge into practice time after time. Take these intensive learner driver courses, 8 weeks to test. Yes you can drive after 8 weeks, but you will make lots of mistakes and it will take years more real world experience to make you into a 'skilled' driver.

For some people intensive courses are a waste of time as they are unable to absorb the information at the rate of knots that it is delivered. We all know how we learn best.

Never has so much sense been said all in one go. Couldn't agree more nstreet.
It's all very well being shown what to do but there's nothing quite like doing it yourself and developing your own methods.
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back