Intergas Error Code 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 36/40 combi is giving an error code 8 (fan speed) each morning now it is colder. I assume this happens when OT first calls for heating to be switched on. All I know is I wake up and it's cold! On the milder mornings it seems ok but this could be a red herring as haven't had any for few days now. Also once reset is pressed it seems to work fine for the rest of the day/evening. Having said that, it took 2 resets this morning.

Boiler is located in loft so obviously will be exposed to colder conditions.

A call to IG technical support and they suggested it could be the fan bearings drying out and that they might just need oiling. Does this seem plausible or is it more likely to be a technical issue?

I did read that a frozen condensate pipe could also cause fan problems but when I checked this morning it wasn't frozen.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember giving you advice several months ago about having the boiler serviced and the new software settings input to make life easier for the fan??

Forget oiling it. You will need a new one very shortly :(

How many rads is it serving?

Sounds like someone who does not get it professionally serviced.

Why did your boiler only have a two year warranty? Did you install it yourself?

Tony

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like new fan time to me - there was an issue with the fans on the early 40kW boilers. Had you had your boiler serviced annually IG would probably have covered this under warranty, but as you've not correctly maintained your boiler you'll probably have to pay for it yourself. They might do a repair and extended warranty package for you if you ask them nicely though

I seem to remember giving you advice several months ago about having the boiler serviced and the new software settings input to make life easier for the fan??

Forget oiling it. You will need a new one very shortly :(

How many rads is it serving?

Was only couple of weeks ago actually, Razor and haven't got round to booking anything in yet. Still 21 rads.

Was installed 3 years ago by a gas safe installer, not IG certified though so only had 2 years warranty.

After 11 months in original fan just stopped. IG certified repairer fitted new one under warranty and serviced at same time.

Last year I didn't have it serviced for whatever reason so here we are a year later.

Thought it was only a recommendation that it be serviced every year, not an absolute requirement.

If IG a correct in that it's the cold/moisture that is causing fan to fail sounds like this wI'll continue to happen all the time the boiler is in the loft

Who did you speak to at IG?

I'd be amazed if anyone told you to oil the fan or that it's because the boiler is in the loft. If anyone did then they are plain wrong about it.

Your best course is to get the fan replaced and the boiler properly serviced. as Muggles said a small percentage of early 40kW fans gave trouble but the ones manufactured since August 2015 have been bulletproof.

Annual servicing is not just recommended but required in order to maintain the warranty.

It is odd that you did not choose an IG certified installer to fit the boiler so you could get a longer warranty.

Tony

Who did you speak to at IG?

I'd be amazed if anyone told you to oil the fan or that it's because the boiler is in the loft. If anyone did then they are plain wrong about it.

Be amazed ! That's why I asked the question in the first place as thought it a bid odd. No idea of name. Got the impression he was young lad.

Well doesn't want to stay working for long at all today. Took cover off and on startup fan makes several attempts to turn but just jolts. Then after say 6-8 attempts it actually spins but only last for few minutes then error 8 again. Repeats this each time. Guess as you say time for another fan. I'll get someone in.

Annual servicing is not just recommended but required in order to maintain the warranty.

It is odd that you did not choose an IG certified installer to fit the boiler so you could get a longer warranty.

Live and learn :)

Tony

On other boilers, a twitching fan as I like to call it, is sometimes a PCB fault.

But Ray who goes out to many IG boilers seems to think it is the fan in your case.

We recommend that the case is only opened by a gas safe registered person.

Tony

So it sits on 3 for a while then goes to 8? It's Donald Ducked I'm afraid.

If you go for a fixed priced repair from Intergas it'll be £238.80 for them to do the fan and pressure sensor together with setting the boiler up properly

In fact it'll probably be me (y)

And for comparison, how much would an RGI have to pay for a fan?

So it sits on 3 for a while then goes to 8? It's Donald Ducked I'm afraid.

If you go for a fixed priced repair from Intergas it'll be £238.80 for them to do the fan and pressure sensor together with setting the boiler up properly

In fact it'll probably be me (y)

Yep 3 then 8. Put the cover back on and it is working as expected!! Switched off/on couple of times and still good. But guess it will fail in the morning.

That price sounds pretty good. Do I just ask IG for a fixed price repair?

Just had a thought but doubt it's related. The replaced the gas supplies into each property in our road in the summer. So this is the first month or so we have had the heating on and it's obviously got colder and colder.

As I understand they fed a smaller pipe inside the existing and then connect to meter. So presumably the volume of gas is now less. The internal feed to the loft is 22mm. Is the fan speed regulated by the amount of gas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back