intermediate light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a problem with my intermediate light switch in hall way . Took light switch off in hall to replace with a new one i didnt draw a diagram of wires and now im stuck the switch itself turns the landing light on upstairs . Ive got two black wires and two red wires and i dont know which terminals they go in can u suggest anything i need help ?

Sponsored Links
You say it is an intermediate switch, by this do you mean it has FOUR terminals?

If it only has three than is is two way.

HOWEVER, if it is in fact a true intermediate switch, and someone has botched the wiring by the sounds of it, the simple expediancy of putting like for like in the switch will solve the problem.

So,

Red 1 = top right terminal
Black 1 = Top left terminal

Red 2 = Bottom right terminal
Black 2 = Bottom left Terminal

If your lucky Breezer or B-O-S will be along soon and one of them will have a sketch of this type of switch in their little bag of goodies.

Here's a picture:

23wayswitches.jpg

but there are other ways it might be wired up - see here

Nice one Ban, I knew you or Breezer would come to the image rescue :D

However the link shows an image I have problems with.

It shows in the Two and the Two plus Intermediate diagrams using the 3 core method. the YELLOW as the common. As this core is permanently live, this should always be denoted that the RED is used as the common.
The picture should also note that the other cores should be marked with RED sleeving or Tape to indicate they are in fact phase conductors.

I do note that in the pictures posted above the RED core in indeed the common.

Sponsored Links
intermeadiate.gif

This what you wanted? if not please state what i have missed and it will be amended

Nice drawing, it does show what he was speaking about, but my point was about how inaccurate the drawing in the link is.

Yes it is electrically correct, but in practice it is wrong too.

breezer said:
what do you want / suggest i change? (i will do so )

Breezer, your missing my point..maybe the way I wrote it..

Your drawings are OK, nothing wrong with them.

It is the drawing at the other end of the link you posted of TLC I had an Observation about.

breezer said:
not guilty your honour, was not me who posted link to tlc

I'm having a blonde day, many apologies, no wonder I confused you...DOH!!

Ban....stop making me think your Breezer... :D

I humbly beg forgiveness... :LOL:

I also note that in the last diagram of the PDF file in the link, the permanent live is labelled SW.L

Judging by the URL, the document originally came from MK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back