Intermediate Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am puzzling myself over whether an intermediate switching set-up will function correctly, if the the perm live and switch line (T&E) form the light was pulled through to the intermediate switch with both 3 core strappers being there and terminating the perm/switch line at 1 and 2 way of intermediate.
My head is saying it would in theory.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean run the switch wire (perm live and switch live) to the intermediate switch?

Yes, that will work. Done this many times where it's been more convenient to do so.

If you were to draw a simple circuit diagram (like a college-type diagram) you will see it's effectively no different to running the switch cable to one of the two way switches.

Sponsored Links
No nor have I. But I can see it could be easier - particularly if the intermediate is nearest to the lights

Do you mean run the switch wire (perm live and switch live) to the intermediate switch?
Yes, three core strapped across the three switches as normal. but the switch wires from the light fitting coming to the intermediate. Then terminating the stappers as normal and perm to 1 way and switch line to 2 way of intermediate.
Yes, that will work. Done this many times where it's been more convenient to do so.
That is the reason I ask, it would be much easier to pull the cables through this way.
If you were to draw a simple circuit diagram (like a college-type diagram) you will see it's effectively no different to running the switch cable to one of the two way switches.
I have the configuration in my head, and I believed it would be okay. Just because never done it this way, an element of doubt.

Thanks for input, can sleep easier.

Just to help you sleep really well, where you would usually connect the switch cable to a 2 way switch using L1 and L2, you would use the corresponding L1 and L2 (on one side, say the top for example) of the intermediate.

If you see what I mean.

I too agree it would work, providing both L and S/L are obviously on same side of intermediate switch,I suppose in fact, if tubed and wired in singles, you could put the LIVE in the two way switch and S/L in the intermediate other strapper if it was convenient

sleep.jpg

As above, it would be no different than connecting at one of the 2-ways. If you really wanted to, you could also wire the "conventional" method by splitting the common where it runs through the intermediate box and connecting to the live & switched live of the twin.

Look at it this way:

Normal three way switching - 2W,Int,2W switches with switch wires at one end.
Would it matter if you connected them at the other end?
It doesn't matter where you connect them.

No Int. here but put it anywhere.
upload_2016-2-8_22-38-32.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back