Intermittent Hot Water due to CH Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ELM LeBlanc GVM 4.20 combination boiler.

I have an ongoing problem with my hot water coming from the boiler going hot and cold.
With a bit of investigation (and some shouting and screaming) I have discovered that everytime the temperture on the CH thermostat (on the boiler) hits the temperture that has been set it switches the boiler off and therefore we get cold water. Even with the hot water tap still on it will only comes on after the CH temperture has dropped.

I have got around this until now by setting the temperture for the CH to max but as its really cold outside the wife has insisted on turning the radiators on and I can't leave the CH thermostat to MAX.

Please help - And British Gas engineers refuse to touch the boiler as it too old?

Thanks -
Freezing from Essex :cry:

Sponsored Links
We all refuse to touch them!!

In 18 yrs these are perhaps one of the most hated and difficult boilers to work on I have ever come across.

Extend the morgage and get it ripped out

Yes, that would be the ideal scenario but I am hoping that I can get it fixed to last me the winter months and then make the necessary expense next year.
The problem don't seem that complex and therefore I'm thinking the solution shouldn't be that complex either???

Since my last reply few weeks back things are getting worse. I'm getting round my cold water problem by raising the CH thermostat on boiler before jumping in the shower and then remembering to turn it down before going to work.
I now have new problem in that my pilot flame keeps going out. Which involves opening the case and lighting it with a match. It will last less than a day before the whole process has to be repeated. There is also a faint whisling noise coming from the boiler and a strong humming noise when the hot water is turned on

I know the thing is to replace the boiler after reading many of the posting on the website but does anyone know any reputable plumbers in my area (Chigwell) who can either advise me on maybe diagnosing problem with my current boiler or a supply and fit a new one.

I think its a matter of days before this one will totally die on me :(

Kitesh

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it is a new boiler, does anyone know anybody in my area, reputable and reasonably priced to sort it out?

Thanks for the ELM website but you need to know what to buy? My knowledge is limited and there are few things that may needs to be sorted now so things are escalating.

My ideal situation would be to find plumber whos know about these boiler and is willing to touch it, tell me the bits I need and then I can hunt around a try to find them. If I find them, get them installed and it all works then I (and my bank account) will be a lot happier this xmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back