Internal door handle height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What height should internal door handles be? Im using those 6 panel "fake" wood doors. The current heightn is about 106cm.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
These types of hollow doors you have no choice because where the wood block is position for the door handle, normally on the top of the door for instruction for whereabouts the lock block is. As for positioning the door handle if allow would be whatever comfortable for you. In the old days the door handles were high up

unless then customer says different i always situate the handle centre 1m up from the door bottom.

or 1m down from the door top. ;)

these measurements are referring to a 78"h, door.

1m up seems to be the standard - do a google search, I found one site that gave the BS height depending on the average age of the user!

Take the advice and be careful about installing the handles to high up - I matched the height on my exisiting doors and missed the lock block completely - had to scrap the door and start again.

Sponsored Links
Fitting new doors in my 60's & am keeping the original height for handles to avoid moving the latch plate; mine are 95 cm (36 inches in old money). This is ¾ of the way up of the centre band on 6 panel doors & has worked out quiet well for fitting rotary locks below the handle on the cloak/bathroom doors, get this wrong & it will look unbalanced; as jono says, watch out for the position of the lock block.

to be picky, i was taught that internal door handle heights should be set at 990mm from bottom of door to center of leaver :LOL:

Thanks guys, ive decided to go with the original height. Please take a look at my other question

I worked in a door factory for many years as a Maintenance Fitter and seem to remember the lock blocks on HOLLOW doors was equi distant top to bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back