Internal door hanging tolerances

I would expect wooden thresholds under all doors. But there again I'm used to old fashioned , decent quality of construction
They are classed as a trip risk these days, not to mention being an impediment to wheel chair/disabled access, so you won't find too many or them

Sponsored Links
Ah well, I suppose the morons that {edit : seem to think they } are responsible for our "health and safety" will be banning staircases from now on !!

I would expect wooden thresholds under all doors. But there again I'm used to old fashioned , decent quality of construction
They are classed as a trip risk these days, not to mention being an impediment to wheel chair/disabled access, so you won't find too many or them

Blimey!!!

Best I get ready for an early morning raid by the H&S Police!! Every door in our house has a hardwood threshold <gulp>. This weekend I will be buying a pot of camouflage paint...

Nah. I was just talking about new build where the building inspectors really don't seem to like them

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm currently having a difference of opinion with my new home builder regarding the gap left under their newly internal hung doors which Are 3/4" higher than the floor.
Is there a code of practice or BS/EN to which the doors should comply?
Yes there is.

The building regulations approved document part F (ventilation) covers this - check here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partf/
Section 5. Covers undercuts for doors with all types of ventilation.

If the new build has a mechanical ventilation system then the building regs require a significant gap under all internal doors after carpet etc. is installed. It is in the small print and may not be aggressively enforced - BC lacks experience with MVHR - but strictly there should be one.

I don't know much about ventilation, but surely in a house with a proper ventilation system there would be proper in and out vents? Leaving a gap like that under the door is pretty ugly IMO, and reminds me somehow of in "Steptoe and Son" when 'Arold fits central heating to the house and runs pipes under the doors to warm up the draughts! :)

Only larger-than-average rooms would have both a supply and an extract point. It's far more common to design the building so that moist, stale air is sucked out of rooms that generate it (kitchen, bathrooms) and fresh supply air is supplied to habitable rooms not featuring an extract point

This way problematic air is encouraged to leave the building close to where it is generated, and ultimately there is a flow of air out of the supplied room (under the door, or around the edges of the architrave) and into the extracting room (again, under the door)

Warming up the draughts certainly increases the comfort level but it should be noted that houses fitted with ventilation systems are typically designed to be airtight and thus do not have "draughts" per se. One would probably be able to feel the air moving under the door but with the design generally being to have the air flowing out of habitable rooms and into nonhabitable ones it wouldn't be noticed

My guess is that if the gap is large when the door is shut then maybe the flooring is not level and when you open the door to a certain point it is tighter, this is down to the joists not being levelled properly. Only a guess though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back