Internal lead pipe replacement – advice and costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m looking for some advice. I own a 1900 terraced property that has always suffered from poor flow from all the taps around the house. Over time the flow has reduced and is now unbearable. A recent measure by my usual plumber suggested it was 3lpm for the hot and 4lmp for the cold, so very poor. He’s done a series of basic checks but has been unable to identify the basis of the problem.

I had the local water company out (Severn Trent) a year or so ago to check the mains pressure. I don’t remember the exact figure but long story short it was excellent, so that isn’t the problem.

My plumber has suggested it could be a pinched or bent lead pipe leading to the internal stopcock but was unable to provide any estimates to correct it.

Here’s the problem, the external stopcock is in the pavement and about 20cm from my front door. I suspect the pipe then runs under the length of the house itself to the rear of the property where a lead pipe comes up in the kitchen to the internal stopcock(s). The floors are all concrete and we’re probably talking about a distance of 10m.

So what’s involved in replacing this lead pipe? Do I have to have a trench dug through my house? Are there alternatives such as using a mole device (although this only seems to be used for garden which isn’t relevant in my case)? And what would the likely cost be in any given approach?

I believe that I’m not on a shared supply but I’m not 100% certain. All other pipe work in the house is copper or plastic. Sadly there’s no cellar to the property.

To make matters worse I also suspect the pipe is leaking due to an area of persistent damp to the base of kitchen party wall. So an addition question is, if I brought ST to look at the issue could they also insist the work is carried out whether I like it or not?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

GG

Sponsored Links
Once the pipe has entered the property it can be run (within reason) however you like. Is there a convenient point at the front where it could be brought into the house, and the stoptap can be sited, before running from there to where required?

If the incoming pipe (and stoptap) can be concealed, then a 15mm pipe running up the wall isn't too intrusive in most situations, once in the ceiling void it's hidden. Run it through to the rear of the house to connect as required.

Only way to discover if supply is shared is to shut it off and check with the neighbours as to who has and who hasn't got water!

Thanks for your reply Hugh.

Convenient? Well not really. Taking your idea though I'm considering digging a hole straight down just inside front door straight down and have the pipe run straight up and perhaps running the pipe internally behind the skirting board to the kitchen. Just don't know what to do about the stop tap if I do that.

The water has been turned off outside before with no complaints and the houses either side seem to have stop taps so I'll assume not shared.

You should have a stop cock just inside your property.

Doing what you suggest sounds feasible and it should either be possible to have it just below floor level.

Where there is a flow rate problem I like to use a full bore quarter turn valve as they cause less restriction that a traditional stopcock although technically they are not correct.

You can buy ready made skirting with space for pipes ready formed on the back!

Tony

Sponsored Links
You should have a stop cock just inside your property.

Doing what you suggest sounds feasible and it should either be possible to have it just below floor level.

Where there is a flow rate problem I like to use a full bore quarter turn valve as they cause less restriction that a traditional stopcock although technically they are not correct.

You can buy ready made skirting with space for pipes ready formed on the back!

Tony

I take it you have a combi boiler with poor hot water flow ? If not a combo hot should be fine or another problem.

If mains fault think I would fit stop tap as close as possible to front door and run 22mm up wall and under floors upstairs.
Box in loads of houses done like that

A lot of houses that have upgraded have the pipe running up a corner internally at the front of the property, can usually easily be boxed in for aesthetic reasons then too. Once at ceiling level, the new pipework can be run through the ceiling void to connect at a suitable point elsewhere in the property.

Don't forget to cap the old supply off (just in case!), remove any dead legs left by the new pipework, and ensure the earth bonding is maintained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back