Internal leak sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have a small weep on the flow side to a rad it is on the copper pipe that is feeding it , also it is 10 or 12 mm not sure which yet , i would like some feedback on fernox F4 or similar , are they anygood . The reason i am looking in this direction is that a repair will be a nightmare .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it you have tried tightening the nut?
Microbore is very soft so too much tightening squashes the joint.
Are you saying you cannot take the nut off and wrap some ptfe over the olive?
I prefer to stay away from internal leak sealers as they can cause more hassle than worth clogging up small internal waterways, esp in microbore.
Pete

Fluffster thanx for relpy , its not the nut on the valve but the actual pipe seems to be weeping through all but very slightly .

Are you sure it is a split in the pipe and not running down from a joint elsewhere?
Wrap some tissue eitherside of where you suspect the leak to be and see if it is coming from else where.
If indeed the pipe has split then you should replace the section as it will only open fully and give you a swimming pool to play in!
Pete

Sponsored Links
Fluffster I have not tried to tighten the nut i must admit , but you have made me focus more on finding exactly where its coming from as its one of those leaks that does not show itself when you look at it , i will let you know how i get on . cheers mark

Agree with flufster, keep away from leak sealer. use coloured tissue paper and gently touch around parts of suspect leak, will go dark when wet so you can spot it.

Fernox internal leak sealant it a very trustworthy product.

No harm in trying it first.

It stopped a 1bar drop a week (double dose though) on a sealed system I treated for a regular of mine.

David

is it still holding back the leak? How long has it been?

I have only used the sentinel version and found it only lasts about 6/9months even when I double dosed :rolleyes:

Know i am confused , positive comments and negative looks as if its down to me win or lose . while i am on the subject has anyone tried the external leak sealants ? .

howy1 - the comments on whether or not the products work or not are really outside of your question.
They're saying it may or not be useful for sealing a leak that can't be found, but as you know roughly where yours is, there's a better course of action to take.

You need to find the exact cause of your leak as you know where it is and correct that problem. Hope that clears it up for you. :D

Thanks Buzzark , i was perhaps looking for an easy way out because if the pipe is leaking it could mean going as far as into the concrete floor and there is a new carpet just been layed , oatmeal colour to boot so its a bit like playing with a bomb , cheers mark

Better safe than sorry!
If it's the nut leaking tighten it, if the pipe has perhaps a nick you can get at you might be able to repair that with an epoxy putty.

If it's hidden, well then you may have problems but check the easy ones first. ;)

howy1 said:
Hello all,
I have a small weep on the flow side to a rad it is on the copper pipe that is feeding it , also it is 10 or 12 mm not sure which yet , i would like some feedback on fernox F4 or similar , are they anygood . The reason i am looking in this direction is that a repair will be a nightmare .
Thanks

Fernox f4 tends to provide a permanent repair to small weeps etc. It solidifies when it is hot and wet and comes in contact with air. I've never known this stuff cause problems on systems.

Nortimax its good to here some positive feedback ,this has given me some confidence in the product , i will probably give it a shot .
cheers Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back