Internal light timer problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine is trying to fix up a new switch timer for his outside light using this one

he has wired it up as he should do (he thinks its right)

and this is how his old one was wired up

problem is when he has it wired up in the new way it stays on and does not act like a switch. What is he doing wrong and how can he fix it to work properly?

Many thanks-kev.

Sponsored Links
The greenbrook instructions are utter tripe,

http://greenbrook.co.uk/product-pdfs/T40S-CInstructions.pdf

But it looks like you want the two cables the other way around (if the original switch was wired correctly of course)

And the manual says:

1.After installation, the internal back up battery will need to be fully charged to enable correct operation.
2.After the main supply is switched back on, wait 5 minutes and operate the reset button and allow the internal battery to charge for 45-60 minutes. After this period follow the operating instructions as normal.

Thanks i have passed this on to him and mentioned the white box info you said about and hope this will help him out.

Sponsored Links
he kept the wires the right way round but realised he wasnt giving it time to power up and he wasnt pressing the right button after installing the wires..doh lol

but I don't know how this switch works,
Nor I.

it could need the perm live in the terminal they specify.
But however it works, whatever the circuitry inside is and does, how would it be aware of a difference in the voltage being supplied to it if the conductors were the other way around?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back