Internal solid walls plastering and water vapor help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've got myself in a right pickle and stressing out not knowing what work is required on my internal walls on a low budget.

For now its only one room, the idea was to decorate but after some research with what I should do with old solid walls it has left my a little confused. My house was built in 1906 ish.

The walls are currently bare, looks like a cement render with a green paint used on top. I will try to include a photo. My original idea was to batten the walls and fix plasterboard with possibly insulation if I can afford it but I've read condensation could build up in the air gap.
There no longer appears any damp issues on the internal wall but the external cement render on my property has all kinds of splits and cracks on it which leaves me worried water will penetrate my external wall and become trapped between my original internal wall and the plasterboard. I'm aware you can purchase plasterboard with a metal lining on which is to help prevent the plaster being damaged but does this still require some sort of ventilation?

Again because I believe my internal walls are cement rendered what sort of effect will this also have? I don't think its lime but I could be wrong. Could my walls be lime plastered with a breathable paint applied?

At this moment in time I'm not to fussed so much on insulation generally because I can't afford it, although it really could do with it. If there is a cheaper option then I'm all ears, insulated plasterboard with a metal lining?? With battens or no battens?

The room below has plastered walls and has been plastered for 25+ years and the walls have no damage.

I cannot afford for the external walls to be insulated or lime rendered.

Hopefully you understand what sort of situation I'm in, any help is appreciated. Cheers
bADqnHO.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am not trying to frighten you but I would get the "Green Stuff" on your wall checked out. (Google Arsenic in wallpapers). I came across it many years ago. We never knew anything about it till we had knocked it off the wall and skipped it, and some old boy in the pub mentioned it after he asked us what we had been doing..Don't get too worried as I think it is in a stable state till you start hacking it off. But before you do anything find out who can check it out for you.. It might be just old green paint!! I hope it is..

It is strange because other walls are like it. My mother's house is exactly the same. Maybe green was a thing I dunno... I'll look into it.

I was't sure of putting that post up as my wife said ,"You can't put up a post like that as you may frighten the person who posted!" But it was too late take it off , So I am glad that you are doing something positive about it...

Sponsored Links
Yeah no worries. As for the walls I was thinking to lime render and use breathable paint?

I've been told it was a very popular and cheap paint back in the day which is why you'll find it on old property's. Someone has recommended using wood fibre boards or repairing the wall to make it look good as possible.

Its your choice but l would not go on the word of someone saying it was popular and cheap to use this paint years ago ! So l wont be giving you advice , as l have been down this road and know there is a chance of it being arsenic if its not checked out properly. Good luck!,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back