Interneal telephone cable, which one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Had openreach out last week regarding a connection to a new build, the will bring the drop cable to one of the corners of the house over head. We are responsible for anything indoors. What cable type do i need to run between the master socket and the drop cable

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A bit of 2 pair or 3 pair white internal will do you. Just google that

If you see a a tech for any major cable supplier "BT or virgin" and offer him a drink for the length you need I'm sure most won't say no. Maplins will let you buy the length, screw fix sell 100m drums etc etc

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong - but in my experience BT will run the 'Drop Wire' to the master socket which they will install. From there it's up to you. As it's a new build do yourself a fes favours :-
1) indentify where the master socket will goo,
2) indentify where you want the broadband router - then cable from master socket to router location using Cat5e cable
3) cable using CW1308 from master socket to where you want telephne points (e.g. master bedroom, kitchen, office)
4) Cable using Cat5e/6 from router to office, television ariel point and kids rooms (saves on wifi and powerline interference).

then cable from master socket to router location using Cat5e cable

From Master Socket to router location is best in CW1308 telephone cable. The ADSL signal from the exchange ( or FTTC cabinet in the street ) is "designed" / optimised for travel along low twist cables ( such as CW1308 ) and can be degraded by even a short length of high twist cable ( such as CAT type cables ). Many people say this degredation doesn't ( can't ) happpen but in practise it does and in one case replacing a few metres of CAT5 with CW1308 almost doubled the data rate. ( house about 3 miles cable route from the exchange and hence a poor ADSL signal at the Master Socket. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back