Invoice for more than quotation

Interesting?! He was implying this was just additional material costs (plus transport) but not that he was adding labour. Perhaps that is why he has not yet provided the receipts I have asked for...

Sponsored Links
Interesting?! He was implying this was just additional material costs (plus transport) but not that he was adding labour. Perhaps that is why he has not yet provided the receipts I have asked for...

You can get decorative stone chippings for less than what he is asking, if it is indeed just materials. I'd say call a local landscaper, and ask for prices for topsoil - ask for their best one with enhancer, so as to give your guy a maximum price per tonne available!

You can get decorative stone chippings for less than what he is asking, if it is indeed just materials. I'd say call a local landscaper, and ask for prices for topsoil - ask for their best one with enhancer, so as to give your guy a maximum price per tonne available!

Please do not call anyone. The guy's a lying toe rag (not phatboy, your gardner bloke!) and would produce receipts if he wasn't. It's not your job to research topsoil prices, it's his to prove his costs.

Please don't waste even 5 minutes of your time to do that!

regards,
Simon.

Please don't waste even 5 minutes of your time to do

Or 5 mins of the time of another landscaper.

As stated a quote is a quote and as such is the price you are expected to pay unless agreed otherwise. As much as I would like it to be otherwise (when I under estimate materials), at the end of the day that's my loss and not the customers.

I've no idea how much topsoil is, but it looks as though others do, if the extra amount invoiced just covered the extra 2 tonne, then I'd be inclined to suggest you meet in the middle an offer to pay £50. As it looks like he can't justify the £100 then stand your ground, if it went to court he'd stand no chance.

Sponsored Links
I have now spoken to the Citizens Advice, who agree with most of you that this is a breach of contract on his part. They have advised me of what to write in a letter to him, and will be informing trading standards. I finally feel confident enough to refuse to pay - don't think it would be too much of a risk to go to court!

Thanks everyone for your advice!! Hopefully this will be the end of it!!

This trader clearly plays this game to win work, he underestimates the cost of doing the job to provide the cheapest quote, and then trys it on with un-authorised "extras" - the lesson he should have learnt is that some customers are NOT stupid and will resist demands for extra payment over and beyond what is quoted, YOU on the other hand should have learnt the Cheapest is NOT always best!! :!: ;)

just watch out for the weed killer on your lawn or creosote in your fish pond 6 months from now, will £100 break the bank ?

Sponsored Links
Back