IP44 clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all, Ive got a transformer rated ip44 its to power some fairy lights that are part of patio set parasol. The lead from the lights ends under the patio table and connects to the trans by screw fitting. So obviously anyone who didnt know would assume this trans would be waterproof but if you know the ip-ratings its only splashproof. But what does this term really mean its almost as vague as "were reasonably practical" well known health and safety term. What constitutes a splash, how much water is it how many times can it be splashed in a given amount of time, the mind boggles :) . I also have another trans that powers "rock lights" same ip44 rating same short lead, what gives with them :?: . Are they safe for outside use or not. The both of these units are resin potted, how the hell water gets into that is beyond me. To add more confusion i spotted a website last night saying these ip44 units were fully waterproof, only if the rain comes down in splashes i presume :LOL: . Ive bought two waterproof enclosures to put these units in but there somewhat large and unsightly but im erring on the safe side. Looking foreward to some comments and advice.

Sponsored Links
It is actually defined. Google for "Ingress protection ratings" if you want a full story, alternatively try here

IP 44 means protected against solid stuff of greater than 1mm (so will be safe against pushing anything thicker than a paperclip in there).

In terms of water ratings, limited ingress is allowed. That means that if you were to open your transformer casing after spraying it with a hose, there might be a little water in there. To counter this, there should also be provision to let the water out (although by it's very nature, if water can get in, it can probably get out again!)

tlc have got just what you want here

ip44 means it doesnt mind being splashed, but if you leave it outside and it rains it will not do it any good (prolonged splashing) get an ip56 box and mount it with cable at the the bottom, you will then be fine

Transformers by their nature get hot. This creates a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the enclosure, and will 'suck' water into the enclosure. If the enclosure didn't allow a little movement of air, it would crack.

Sponsored Links
ip 44 is what the flip top CEE sockets are and those are used outside everywhere (the screw top version is IP 67 but those are much less common)

ip x4 is "Protected against sprays from all directions - limited ingress permitted"

this sounds reasounable for outdoor use to me. btw the limited ingress permitted part stays on all types up to x7

Thanks for the replies and links all, but even within these four replies there is still differing opinion. If you follow AdamW,s link it backs up this from plugwash,s reply

ip x4 is "Protected against sprays from all directions - limited ingress permitted"

And i agree plugwash it sounds reasonable for outdoor use to me to given that statement.

breezer thinks it needs to be housed in a ip56 box as does a buddy of mine. This site

[code:1]http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire_tech/ip_explained.htm[/code:1]

says its only splash proof so backing up breezers view. I think ive seen one a moment ago that says it rainproof. As ive said the transformers will go into to enclosures ive bought, but it dont half seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Lectrician, never heard or considered that. My thought is with these potted units is that they become one solid lump, ever tried to get one open :)

The simplest way imo to clear this confusion up would be to have a label on thes products that simply states, suitable for outdoor use.

Hotwire said:
The simplest way imo to clear this confusion up would be to have a label on thes products that simply states, suitable for outdoor use.
As soon as you do that someone will put one in a pond, or bury it in soil, or plonk it where a puddle forms when it rains...

As soon as you do that someone will put one in a pond, or bury it in soil, or plonk it where a puddle forms when it rains.

Suppose your right there ban-all-sheds, there,s always one. Cant help grinning to myself though at the thought of someone putting one in a pond :)

edited to correct quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back