iPad (air) to TV

Sponsored Links
No... My telly isn't that new, is there a wire or do I have to get a wifi thingy-me-bob for my telly?

Thanks dan

Adding an Apple TV would be the obvious choice. AirPlay works well. Once the tablet and the Airplay device are on the same wireless network then simply swiping up on the tablet screen opens the AirPlay window. It's then just a matter of selection where to show the tablet display.

But if your TV hasn't got a HDMI socket then you're really going to struggle I think.

If you are happy to invest in some additional hardware then you can use AirPlayer as an application as part of an XBMC install. You'll still need a host PC though and, at the least, a VGA input on the TV.

[url]http://lifehacker.com/5802958/how-to-make-your-entire-home-airplay+compatible
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've got hdmi ports on my telly. Reading your comment the Apple TV seems the most logical way to go.

Thanks guys

Why do Apple people stay with Apple, so many limitations
Ditto

The products do my head in. So restrictive. I guess though that ignorance is bliss. If one has never known anything better then what Apple does seems like magic. That's the benefit of being first to market I guess. Bit of a rude awakening though when you realise what's possible beyond the orchard.

I'm not an apple person, ive got an iphone, but only because it was given to me, I would never of got 1 a brand new 1 just to follow the crowds, we bought an ipad for our daughter for Christmas, she knows how to work my phone no problem so why change it, ipad is near enough the same so she wouldn't have any problems using it. Now read the post above, the way it is described, get Apple TV box, stream from ipad to Apple TV box, what could be easier? Buy another box to stream it to, but still have to have the computer turned on? Whats the point, I wanted something simple and easy. Have any of you got another simple solution?

D4N1EL,
don't take it personally. We aren't knocking you. Diyisfun and I are just shooting the breeze and talking as installers rather than as end users. For what you want to do then an ATV3 is probably the simplest solution.

Hi,
I never took it personally, sorry if it came across as I was having a rant, what is an ATV3? I'm not very clued up on this kinda stuff.

Thanks for any advice
Dan

ATV3 is common-used shorthand for Apple TV version 3.

Version 3 is the current version.

Now, there's no need to get all techno-phobe scared. Just buy an Apple TV 3. Fit and forget. That's it. Nothing more complicated than that. Simple. Job done and dusted. Nothing else to discuss even. End of story. Finish.

Why do Apple people stay with Apple, so many limitations
Mostly it's "plug and play" within its limitations. Unless you want to do something extraordinary, Apple products are often suitable.

However, even I was scratching my head yesterday!

I went to see a friend who was having trouble with his setup. He has an Apple Airport Extreme connected to his ADSL router. The Airport Extreme is also connected to his Hi-Fi system (I didn't look to see how).

His wife's MacBook streams audio from iTunes to the HiFi system and everything works nicely until he uses the iPad to watch iPlayer programmes. The instant a programme begins to download, the music is muted.

It's the niggly little stuff that really frustrates. The idea of restricting how Apple devices associate with iTunes accounts and PCs; or the idea that devices have to associated with accounts at all!! How about the way iTunes organises itself which makes integration with 3rd party products more difficult than it needs to be. Or simply the extra hassle of trying co-ordinate the iTunes accounts on a family PC or NAS drive.

All's well if you play the game according to Apple, do everything their way and don't stray outside their tightly controlled little world. It's a matter of which takes priority; the user or Apple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back