IQON PC running slow after Destructive Reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been asked to look at my Mother in Laws PC. She was given it by a friend and has only just started to use it on the internet. After she installed the Internet Security Package from Virgin Media - her ISP it ground to a halt. It had nothing on it except for the pre installed stuff, Windows XP, and a few photos.
I have taken the photos off and done a Destructive Reset via the PC Angel software which is installed on it. It works ok until you try to put some antivirus software on it. So far I have tried AVG, Avast and the Virgin Media one - all of which are free as she doesn't want to pay out. Each time it slows it to a crawl - totally unusable.
I have tried just about everything I can think of - resets, CCleaner, Spybot etc. I have taken off all of the software that I can see that she doesn't need - ie ITunes etc but now I am at a brick wall. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? The label states it is a TECS03 Serial Number 165246062 if that helps.

Sponsored Links
You could check for suspicious startup items through the 'msconfig' applet (Windows key + R, msconfig) but assuming no performance issues with the hard drive, cpu or memory which can be tested with benchmark programs it might save time in the long run to delete the partition and start again with a clean slate.

If you don't have time or inclination to do that then maybe more memory would help a little. XP just about works on 1GB of memory but 2GB would make a noticeable difference.

You could check for suspicious startup items through the 'msconfig' applet (Windows key + R, msconfig) but assuming no performance issues with the hard drive, cpu or memory which can be tested with benchmark programs it might save time in the long run to delete the partition and start again with a clean slate.

If you don't have time or inclination to do that then maybe more memory would help a little. XP just about works on 1GB of memory but 2GB would make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for your response - I have tried msconfig and there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious there.

I checked out the specs
iQon technologies
Intel Celeron 2.66Ghz
2.67gHz, 128mb of RAM

I am guessing that the RAM could be the problem My own PC has 2GB and that isn't the fastest in the world :)

I don't know a lot about PC Maintenance so I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice about upgrading the RAM.

I have taken the side off
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-85661GXMP
there are 2 slots for RAM
it has DDR32X64PC27008EL F5905957 printed on it as well as a sticker which states
elixir M2U25664DS88B3G 6K
256MB DDR 333MHZ CL2.5
PC2700U-25330

I hope this makes sense to someone - can I just buy a 1G or 2G card as long as it is a CL2.5 DDR 333MHZ PC2700 type?? Sorry if this is a daft question but its not my machine so I cant afford to make a mistake and damage it.

I have an old redundant PC which I was planning on using for parts to build one for my daughter as a project - can I use the memory out of that if it matches?
Any advice welcomed :)

The motherboard can support up to 2GB of DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 RAM. It's best to use matched pairs so you'll have the same timings and greater efficiency. There's no need to stick with CL2.5 but you can only use DDR modules, not DDR2 or DDR3 :)

You can also check for and fix file system errors with the command line chkdsk c: /f (assuming the operating system is on drive C) and check the integrity of system files with sfc /all

Sponsored Links
The motherboard can support up to 2GB of DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 RAM. It's best to used matched pairs so you'll have the same timings and greater efficiency. There's no need to stick with CL2.5 but you can only use DDR modules, not DDR2 or DDR3 :)

You can also check for and fix file system errors with the command line chkdsk c: /f (assuming the operating system is on drive C) and check the integrity of system files with sfc /all

Hi Thanks again - you have been great! Have decided to upgrade the RAM just got to wait for it to arrive as the local PC spares place hasn't got it in stock :(

Old style RAM is usually relatively expensive through retailers because of low volume demand but dirt cheap on ebay. It's not worth buying anything faster than DDR400/PC3200 as the memory bus speed is the limiting factor.

Gotta love ebay - just picked up 2 x 512Mb PC2700 DDR 333Mhz for a bargain price of £2.02 including postage! got to be worth a shot - especially since the local PC shop wanted £10 each for 256mb!

The PC is only needed for emails and internet and wont be used for gaming or anything so I reckon this will be fine it works now its just really slow. Don't want to spend too much then find out that something else is dead :)

Thanks for all your help - you saved me from ripping my hair out and giving up :)

Back