IR testing a USB socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, I a have just installed on two rewires a selection of USB integrated socket outlets.
I would assume with a transformer being present that I would either link out the USB trany or IR at 250V?
So that is my question IR at 250V or link out the trany or any other options?

Sponsored Links
I had raised this particular question with MK (Honeywell) a while ago and got this response.
Slide1.jpg

That's the answer - PITA!!

PS I did suggest they included guidance with the product, I haven't seen evidence of this (or any free samples) as yet!

As title, I a have just installed on two rewires a selection of USB integrated socket outlets.
I would assume with a transformer being present that I would either link out the USB trany or IR at 250V?

There won't be any transformers, just a very small switch mode power supply. Certainly don't test them with that in circuit.

Sponsored Links
It's presumably an SMPSU and the nature of such things is that, at least with one polarity of the IR test voltage, it would presumably be expected to give erroneous IR measurements at 250V, and testing at 500V could well do damage to the electronics.

It ought to be safe to do L+N vs E IR tests, and if the SMPSU is totally isolated from earth, the results should to be correct.

Kind Regards, John

Aye, but as he has done rewire, the EIC should show all combinations of IR tests, including L>N. Unless we go the LIM route:(
Indeed - but if, as sounds to be the case, there are multiple USB sockets, if he wants/needs to do L-N IR tests, he really has no choice but to disconnect all such sockets and then do separate IR tests for each 'isolated segment' of the circuit that he has thereby created. That could be a bit of a pain, and maybe difficult to document on standard forms, which don't necessarily allow for multiple L-N IR measurements for one circuit! Even then, of course, one would have not excluded the (albeit extremely unlikely) possibility of a L-N leak within one of the disconnected USB sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Okay, I thought there would be issues with a full test at both 500V and 250V.
Think I will link out the transformers/SMPSUs and do a full test and remark upon this on cert.
Thanks all for confirmation and input.

This is the main reason I hate these things. A big part of my work is fault finding and I don't want to be wasting time bypassing these things. I did a new install recently where there were a handful of usb 13A sockets. Standard sockets were fitted until after full insulation testing was carried out. Then the usb sockets were fitted and ring continuity carried out again and a final L+N to E insulation test.

I still haven't seen a switched version, It can't be that difficult to incorporate one into a shutter door over the socket like they do with shaver sockets. I can only assume the new MK sockets didn't bother with switching as their design department seems to be run by a group of bean counters these days.

I still haven't seen a switched version, It can't be that difficult to incorporate one into a shutter door over the socket like they do with shaver sockets. I can only assume the new MK sockets didn't bother with switching as their design department seems to be run by a group of bean counters these days.
Switched ones certainly exist. Indeed, as recently discussed in another thread, the MK K5837 dual USB charging module apparently has shutter-operated switching. Perhaps there is a problem physically fitting in switching in the context of a socket, rather than a standalone USB module?

Kind Regards, John

Think I will link out the transformers/SMPSUs and do a full test and remark upon this on cert.
What is this 'linking out' you're talking about? Is it possible/easy to disconnect the feed to the SMPSU?
By linking out, I mean linking the cables up without the outlet attached. Removing the USB sockets and then connecting the circuit back up via connectors, if you like the long versed version? Sorry if these caused any confusing, I doubt you could disconnect the USB facility with dismantling the socket, so not my intention to take on that task.

By linking out, I mean linking the cables up without the outlet attached. Removing the USB sockets and then connecting the circuit back up via connectors, if you like the long versed version? Sorry if these caused any confusing, I doubt you could disconnect the USB facility with dismantling the socket, so not my intention to take on that task.
That's what I thought, but when you wrote "...link out the transformers/SMPSUs", I thought that you had perhaps discovered a way to do just that, rather than bypass the entire accessory!

Kind Regards, John

That's what I thought, but when you wrote "...link out the transformers/SMPSUs", I thought that you had perhaps discovered a way to do just that, rather than bypass the entire accessory!
No, I have been able to do it across dimmers, with no adverse effect to the electronics, but I am content with just removing the sockets on these occasions. Then remarking on my test procedures, on the EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back