is 25mm pipe insulation worth it on 22/28mm pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a longish primary run (10m flow + 10m return) in my loft in 28mm copper pipe.. I originally planned to lag with 25mm pipe insulation and have clipped it so that I can, however it's pretty expensive (1.75+Vat/m vs 1.10 + Vat/m) .. but so is gas :(
(at the end of the run the primary splits between two UFH manifolds and a vented hot water cylinder)

I was wondering if I will get any significant benefit from the extra 6mm of insulation? I know with loft insulation you get a diminishing return for additional thickness and that the larger the pipe the lower the rate of heat loss/vol (I think?)

I have the same question for the same length pipe run for a 22mm copper hot water loop, which for obvious reasons I want to loose as little heat as practicable

any thoughts?

cheers

Trevor

Sponsored Links
Heat loss in the loft is totally wasted so thick insulation is advisable.

Heat lost within the house has a useful heating effect for 8 months of the year so does not matter so much.

Tony

it's all in the loft so.. thick as in 25mm? or as in 19mm? (9mm is the thin stuff isn't it?)

I guess it's just one of those things, you get what you pay for.. I am just curious really.. all told the 25mm will cost me an extra £80 (180 instead of 100) I'm curious in a very handwavey kind of way whether I'm likely to make that back in gas savings in 1/10/100 years :)

Sponsored Links
thanks! was hoping I could get away with 19mm given the price differential..

I'm guessing I'd be looking at closer to the 10 years than 1 to make the extra investment back..

a cheaper option would be to lag it with the small studd then get some 100mm fibreglass insulation and wrap that over the pipe, will be way cheaper.

not a bad idea.. I have some 100mm insulation, might look into how easy that would be to do.. :)

cheers

Trev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back