Is a cloakroom/toilet a 'bathroom for regulations purpose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says.
I seem to have read a thread here where someone said it was not, but I'm not sure.

Basically I'm looking at adding an extractor fan to an existing air duct and could just quickly do it myself if there's not need of any certificates.

Sponsored Links
As the title says. I seem to have read a thread here where someone said it was not, but I'm not sure.
As you've been told, if there is no bath or shower then, as far as the regs are concerned, it's not a bathroom.
Basically I'm looking at adding an extractor fan to an existing air duct and could just quickly do it myself if there's not need of any certificates.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that not being a bathroom necessarily gets you off that hook. Whilst you are allowed to add lights/switches to an existing lighting circuit (or add sockets/spurs to existing ring or radial sockets circuit) without notification, silly though it may be, I see nothing in Schedule 4 of the Building Regs which explicitly says that you can install a new fan (and associated fixed wiring) without notification. Maybe others can see something that I'm missing!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

There's already a grilled hole through the wall for aeration. Ideally I'd like to simply add a fan.

John, I see your point: Had a look at schedule 4 and it does seem to restrict allowed work to light fittings, switches and sockets (madness...)

John, I see your point: Had a look at schedule 4 and it does seem to restrict allowed work to light fittings, switches and sockets (madness...)
Yes, it does seem pretty silly - but I'm sorry (on your behalf!) that I cannot find any more helpful way of reading/interpreting Schedule 4!

Kind Regards, John

Although, don't the regs allow an existing broken extractor to be replaced like for like with a brand new one, and also any existing damaged old wire to be replaced like for like?

It's almost like a motor burning out and taking the wire with it then being replaced is the same as adding a brand new extractor plus wiring and not being able to tell the difference in the end result?

If you can live with yourself, in your own home.

:eek:

Although, don't the regs allow an existing broken extractor to be replaced like for like with a brand new one, and also any existing damaged old wire to be replaced like for like?
Indeed, although Schedule 4 says nothing about "like for like" (i.e. you could replace with something 'a bit different'!). However, as I understand it, the OP currently has no fan or cable, so I don't think that the work could reasonably be described as 'replacing' anything!!

Kind Regarsd, John

I know that Approved Document P means nothing even though it's published by the secretary of state and puports to give guidence on the building regs, but it does also state...

Page 8 additional notes a ) Notifiable jobs include new circuits back to the CU and extensions to circuits in special locations

page 9 h
the installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of part p ... However work is notifiable only if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit (back to the CU?) in a special location

so as usual it's not clear in the approved guidence but it appears as long as it's not a special location and the new circuit isn't back to the CU then it's ok?

I know that Approved Document P means nothing even though it's published by the secretary of state and puports to give guidence on the building regs, but it does also state...
As has been discussed before, the Approved Document says some rather odd things about notifiability, seemingly inconsistent with 'the law' (as in Schedule 4 of the Building Regs.
Page 8 additional notes a ) Notifiable jobs include new circuits back to the CU and extensions to circuits in special locations
page 9 h ... the installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of part p ... However work is notifiable only if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit (back to the CU?) in a special location
... so as usual it's not clear in the approved guidence but it appears as long as it's not a special location and the new circuit isn't back to the CU then it's ok?
Yep, that's what the Approved document appears to be saying - and it sounds remarkably sensible. However, as above, it's not 'the law', and 'the law' appears to say something different! This is all, IMO, plain daft!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back