Is a part wall agreement required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had planning approval for a part single and part two storey extension and a loft conversion on my detached house.

One side of the new extension is 1m away from the boundary and on the other side it is 2m away from the boundary. The neighbours actual house ir probably 3-4m away on either side.

My architect suggested I should serve a PWA notice on the neighbour but I didn't think this was necessary as I was not building up to the boundary.

My parents are doing a much smaller simple rear extension in the garden and we will be inches away from the boundary wall and their architect has said it is not needed.

Slightly confused here, could someone please confirm the situation in both scenarios?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If your excavation will be within 3m of any structure on the neighbours' property and your excavation will be below the level of the underside of their foundation, you are supposed to apply the Act

But you'd be mad to, unless you want to spend a shed load of money on a useless wad of paper from a smart surveyor.

The key part of The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is the little 'etc' tucked in the middle there. Take a look at the diagrams in the guidance to understand whether it's applicable in this instance.

...is 1m away from the boundary and on the other side it is 2m away from the boundary. The neighbours actual house ir probably 3-4m away...
PWA not required for the reasons tony gave. You are more than 3m away.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back