Is a vibration in a GFCH boiler unit a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My GF boiler unit - a floor stander, approx 17 years old - makes a vibrating noise when the burner isn't producing DHW or heating the radiators. It is a fairly quiet noise, from low down at the rear, and I think it is roughly at 8Hz. Sounds to me like a low speed motor running, which I guess must be the pump (after all, what else would there be in a GFCH boiler unit).

If it is the pump, why should this be running when no heat is being put into the water (and hasnt been for even half a day)? If it isn't the pump, what could it be? And should I be concerned by any of this please?

Appreciate any advice ;)

Sponsored Links
I hadn't noticed it before, but then I wasn't really paying attention. I noticed it recently because I was timing the on/off durations while the boiler was suplying DHW (off much longer than on) and heating (no issue). My guess though is that i is probably something that has started well after the boiler was installed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back