Is it acceptable for a rubber roof to have ripples?

Nope! Both the rubber and the wood must be glued together. I'd dig out the Firestone factsheets but it's past my bedtime.
Well I disagree, Firestone may say you need to coat both substrate and rubber but with wba it will make no difference if you wet lay the covering. If fact many of the other suppliers of epdm wba state you only need to coat the timber deck.
https://static.rubber4roofs.co.uk/s...chfiles/w/a/water_based_deck_adhesive_tds.pdf
This adhesive is designed to be roller applied and used as a one sided, wet lay in adhesive on flat roof decking surfaces.

Sponsored Links
It's the solvent based contact adhesive around the edges that needs to be applied to both surfaces, rather than the water based adhesive used across the deck, which only needs to be rolled onto the deck. Those were the instructions I followed.

Cheers
Richard

Attached is my first and only attempt to replace a flat roof with membrane.
It is really easy to do and seemed to naturally lie flat without creases, I did replace the boarding though so it had a new surface to lie on.

Attachments

• IMG_20150811_134422870.jpg
    IMG_20150811_134422870.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 473
Sponsored Links
Well I disagree, Firestone may say you need to coat both substrate and rubber but with wba it will make no difference if you wet lay the covering. If fact many of the other suppliers of epdm wba state you only need to coat the timber deck.
https://static.rubber4roofs.co.uk/s...chfiles/w/a/water_based_deck_adhesive_tds.pdf
you are basically correct, the water based adhesive can only be used on new roof decking which means it takes time to cure this allows you to brush out any wrinkles which may occur.
If your are recovering an existing felt roof you have to use contact adhesive which means you have to coat both roof and membrane, you have to allow the adhesive a few minutes to cure before sticking the membrane to the roof.
The problem is as soon as the rubber comes into contact with deck it sticks tight and if you make a mistake and cause a wrinkle it is very hard to smooth out, also if you use to much adhesive it can cause solvent blisters which cause the membrane to bubble up.
For DIY purposes the easiest method is to loose lay the membrane over the roof and stick the edges with adhesive and the screw on a raised edge trim then ballast the roof with the appropriate roofing pebbles to hold the membrane down.
The roofing pebbles also hid any wrinkles in the membrane.

Did you read all the thread or just want to resurrect for no reason?
You don't want to be covering up felt with rubber only cowboys do that, the roof should be stripped back and inspected first.

I would never suggest anyone do a ballasted roof without knowing if the roof can handle the extra weight, this is really bad advice.
It's also not really easier as you have to lump a couple of tone of stone up to the roof.

Pebble_Bird_Netting_3_sml.jpg

Did you read all the thread or just want to resurrect for no reason?
You don't want to be covering up felt with rubber only cowboys do that, the roof should be stripped back and inspected first.

I would never suggest anyone do a ballasted roof without knowing if the roof can handle the extra weight, this is really bad advice.
It's also not really easier as you have to lump a couple of tone of stone up to the roof.
Common sense would dictate that you would make sure the roof could take the weight of the ballast do you really need to be told that, also Firestone rubber is vapour permeable which means it can and has been laid over millions of Square meters of existing flat roofs with no problems,if the existing roof deck is sound and there are no blisters on the existing membrane Firestone recommend the use of their contact adhesive to stick the rubber to the deck.
Firestone is one of the biggest manufacturers of roofing membranes in the world and they specify their product as suitable for overlaying existing flat roof coverings.
Of course what would they know

Last edited by a moderator:
You talk about a diy solution.
A diyer would not necessarily know if the roof was able to take the weight of the roof.
A diyer would, most probably, be replacing a felt roof due to a leak, so due diligence would dictate that the roof structure would be look at to make sure it has not failed due to water damage.
It takes a lot of preparation of the felt to make it clean enough to take the glue and really only as a quick fix should this be done. Would firestone warranty a roof laid over an existing covering?

Not sure what permeability has to do with it, but in real life the permeability of epdm is so low its not worth taking into consideration other wise you could do without a vlc. If you take a bit of epdm and sandwich some wba it'll never go off.

Exactly Firestone want you to use contact adhesive we where on about water based/borne.

The original Post was OCTOBER 2016 ??

Why dig up old posts unless the original poster has a further question, OR?? The new post asked a similar or related question?

By now there is a high probability that the roof has failed or been replaced?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back