Is it CE or not CE? = Are you alright, my old China.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not wanting to unearth the "Chinese products" are not safe debacle. I thought it may be worth posting the following.
CE-and-China-Export.jpg

In recent years we’ve got used to the fact that if a product bears CE mark, it is safe. The reason for this assumption is the goods’ compliance with EU standards. Unfortunately, there exists a much similar mark which the majority of consumers and even sellers understand as CE mark of the European Union. However, this mark symbolizes something quite different.

What’s behind China Export marking?

This mark means that the product was manufactured in China, and means “China Export”. This similarity is not a chance coincidence. It expresses the aggressive approach and is used to confuse European consumers.

The China Export mark is not registered, it does NOT confirm positive test results and is placed by Chinese manufacturers arbitrarily.

Sponsored Links
I can but presume that those who use the 'China Export' mark, obviously to confuse/deceive, believe that by not quite reproducing the true 'CE mark' exactly they are getting themselves (and/or other people in the supply chain) off a 'legal hook'. I'm no lawyer, but I'm far from convinced that they are necessarily correct in that belief.

Kind Regards, John

A logo very similar to CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[17] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008.[18] The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#China_Export

The form of the mark that is purported to be the non-existent "China Export" mark was at one time the correct form of mark for the Toys Directive. Some companies use it because it takes less space than the correct mark.

Why would a manufacturer of illegal tat need a specific marking, when he could just copy the correct mark?

Sponsored Links
Why would a manufacturer of illegal tat need a specific marking, when he could just copy the correct mark?
That was the thought behind my comment above. If they wanted to 'fake' a CE mark, they could obviously do so 'accurately' - which is why I wondered whether they thought they were somehow 'protecting' themselves (or others in the supply chain) legally by using a mark which they could claim was not of the right form to be a true CE-mark.

Kind Regards, John

I know of UK manufacturers of electronic goods that'd apply CE stickers with no form of approval whatsoever. You can buy the stickers from places like RS.

I know of UK manufacturers of electronic goods that'd apply CE stickers with no form of approval whatsoever. You can buy the stickers from places like RS.
They don't need approval. It's a declaration by the manufacturer.

As I understand it, it is a totally 'self-policing' system - the CE mark being put on a product (by a manufacturer) to indicate that the product complies with all the relevant EU Standards/Regulations.

Kind Regards, John

It indicates a little more than that John - it indicates that the manufacturer (or his authorised representative in the EEA) has declared that the product conforms to the essential requirements of all the applicable EU Directives, and that he is responsible for that conformity. Any standards that are used are only a means to demonstrate conformity, and there is usually no need for any third-party involvement.

It indicates a little more than that John - it indicates that the manufacturer (or his authorised representative in the EEA) has declared that the product conforms to the essential requirements of all the applicable EU Directives, and that he is responsible for that conformity. Any standards that are used are only a means to demonstrate conformity, and there is usually no need for any third-party involvement.
Fair enough - but those EU Directives are what I was rather loosely describing as 'EU Regulations'! However, I think we both made (more-or-less simultaneously!) the same important point - that applying a CE mark is a 'declaration'/'indication' of conformity made by the manufacturer themselves, not the result of any 'approval' by some external body.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, we did. It always makes me wince when I see something advertised as "CE approved".:mad:
Indeed - but haven't we been through much the same before with BSI 'Kitemarks'?

Kind Regards, John
No, the BSI Kitemark is only applied after BSI Product Services have tested the product's conformity to a British Standard.

As I understand it, it is a totally 'self-policing' system - the CE mark being put on a product (by a manufacturer) to indicate that the product complies with all the relevant EU Standards/Regulations.
Unlike the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listing here, which requires that samples be tested by UL to confirm compliance with safety standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back