Is it good enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had our hallway walls reskimmed. However I am not sure about the quality of the work done. How perfect/smooth should reskimmed walls be? The finished job looks quite rough in places and there are small dents here and there which will probably need polyfilling before I would want to paint. Should I expect to have to sand the walls myself before painting or do I need to ask the plasterer to sort it out? If it's the plasterers job what should he to do to rectify it; sand/fill problems areas or reskim (again)?

Sponsored Links
We have just had our hallway walls reskimmed. However I am not sure about the quality of the work done. How perfect/smooth should reskimmed walls be?
Perfect, smooth & reasonably flat; that’s where the skill is involved!

The finished job looks quite rough in places and there are small dents here and there which will probably need polyfilling before I would want to paint.
Sometimes plasterers will miss the odd trowel mark or blemish, everyone’s human but filling loads of imperfections is not good, it shouldn’t happen.

Should I expect to have to sand the walls myself before painting or do I need to ask the plasterer to sort it out?
If it's been done properly, you should never have to sand freshly plastered walls; in fact it’s generally not a good idea as too much sanding will destroy the surface finish & it can look a bit like brushed suede when initially painted. If it’s that bad, call the plasterer back & tell him your not satisfied.

If it's the plasterers job what should he to do to rectify it; sand/fill problems areas or reskim (again)?

Filling & sanding would be acceptable for a few minor imperfections but if it’s that bad, the best option is usually a re-skim.

It would be good to see some pics. to see exactly what the situation is but it sounds as if you may have fallen victim to a beginner.

it sounds as if you may have fallen victim to a beginner.

I know the feeling! :cry:

My plasterer came back and tried to make amends but I am still not satisfied as I too expected a perfect finish.

There are plasterers and there are plasterers :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back