Is it ok for 15mm cold water pipe to cross above consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it acceptable for a cold water feed pipe to cross above an electric consumer unit?

I'm considering how to run a cold water pipe from my loft into my garage. The easiest way is to drop 15mm plastic pipe down through an upstairs wardrobe and straight through the garage ceiling. However, so that my tap can be fitted close to the garage door, the pipe would need to cross about 6" above the CU, and most of the wiring exits the CU vertically into the ceiling. Alternatively it could cross below the CU, but this is where the main electrical supply enters the house.

Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
It'll be fine - best to avoid any joints above the CU that might leak.

And use copper pipe, not that nasty plastic stuff.

It'll be fine - best to avoid any joints above the CU that might leak.

And use copper pipe, not that nasty plastic stuff.

Thanks mate. Any specific reason I shouldn't use plastic? The whole house (built circa 2000) is plumbed in plastic with JG Speedfit fittings.

Sponsored Links
Q. Plastic pipe and pushfit connections were introduced and became popular because:

a) They were better than copper.

b) They were quicker and cheaper to install and required less skill.

?

he feels that an enormous amount of modern plumbing and heating pipework is being done, 'improperly'.

A few years ago in Plumbase the rep for a plastic plumbing system was extolling it's great benefits but then admitted his house was all copper plumbing and would remain copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back