Is it okay to plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought my house a few years ago which had an integral garage conversion and just needed a skim of plaster, on plasterboards and a few other minor jobs to be completed.

Before completion the owners decided to decorate and just put up some textured wallpaper to make it look nice, however, I dont know if they sized the plasterboard beforehand (I suspect not) and am now considering redecorating.

I am wondering can you plaster over the wallpaper which will undoubtedly be left on the plasterboards when I try to remove the textured stuff, I know the cheaper option would be to replace like for like but to be honest I would have got the boards plastered in the first place.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Regards

semi-acoustic

Sponsored Links
You can't plaster over wallpaper. I tried it years ago - what a disaster that was. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You cant do ANYTHING over paper, i have just quickly painted a kids bedroom, just to spruce it up and the weight of the paint and the moisture is bubbling and pulling it off.

I was skimming a living room a few months back, over rubbish plastering( which had been on a few years ). Right near the end just as it was hardening up, trowelling away and i pulled off my coat, the other coat and then the paper underneath that.

Waited a few days, and went back an there was some patches where the moisture from my coat had soaked all the way through to the paper.

So i got my scraper and after 25 min on the floor was my plaster, the old plaster and the yellow wallpaper, back to a solid surface. So had to do it again ( not at my expense )

But when i first looked at the job, the wall was ( multi ) hard as nails, nothing blown nothing cracked, just a rough finish like fine sandpaper. So only found out after.

Poxy paper.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back