Is it possible, safe and allowed to have the following light switch setup?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom with, accent lighting (leds) and a main light that triggers the bathroom fan which stays on after the light is used.

the accent lighting is on a separate switch and basically controls two 12v power supplies for LEDS.

Id like to have one of the following two options:

Option 1: two gang switch one switch turns on the accent lighting, the other switch turns on the accent lighting and the main light which will trigger the extractor.

Option 2: Some kind of off on1 on2 wall switch or three position switch to accomplish option1, so the first push or position of the switch is accent lighting on, the second push or position is all on. third push or position is all off, however id like to be able to get from accent to off without having to go through all on. mainly to avoid triggering the extracts, for middle of the night visits to the bathroom, or relaxing quiet baths.

im guessing option1 wouldn't be recommended because the light switch could be off but the circuit could be live due to switch 2?

thanks

Sponsored Links
im guessing option1 wouldn't be recommended because the light switch could be off but the circuit could be live due to switch 2?
All light switches are permanently live.

You can do whatever you want with suitable parts.

Option 1: two gang switch one switch turns on the accent lighting, the other switch turns on the accent lighting and the main light which will trigger the extractor.
I don't think you could do that with standard light switches without also having some relay/contactor, since otherwise the main light/extractor would always come on when the accent lighting was turned on. However, you could do it with (unconventional use of) one double-pole and one single-pole switch, probably only achievable by using 'grid switches'.
Option 2: Some kind of off on1 on2 wall switch or three position switch to accomplish option1, so the first push or position of the switch is accent lighting on, the second push or position is all on. third push or position is all off, however id like to be able to get from accent to off without having to go through all on. mainly to avoid triggering the extracts, for middle of the night visits to the bathroom, or relaxing quiet baths.
I think you would probably struggle to find an appropriate switch to do that.

Kind Regards, John

care to expand how you might do it with a gird switch john?

I know in a car i would link the output of a relay for one say set of headlights to the on on the relay of the other, and then put a diode in between to stop the power going in the wrong direction.

would it be possible to link the outputs of the two switches with a diode so it only works one way? and can you get diodes for lighting voltages?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately with mains, a diode is no good, as it will not pass half of the cycle. i've seen multiple throw rotary switches for fan controls, maybe you could use something like that.

If you are going to have more than one switch then surely you may as well wire them separately.

re-posted

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-5_16-8-9.png
    upload_2016-2-5_16-8-9.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
If you are going to have more than one switch then surely you may as well wire them separately.
Yes, but he wants one switch to operate just one of the loads and the other switch to operate both of them. As I said, that needs either a relay or a DP switch (for one of them) such as I have just posted.

Kind Regards, John

yeah, ideally it would be one switch but as you say, its not as simple as i first through which means its probably just much simpler to have them on a 2 gang. but it would have been nice to have them come on together with the full on switch.

although with my other half, she likes to switch every possible switch on at the same time if they are together anyway, no matter what they are for! lol

Yes, but he wants one switch to operate just one of the loads and the other switch to operate both of them. As I said, that needs either a relay or a DP switch (for one of them) such as I have just posted.
Yes, I realise that but it defeats the object.

Yes, I realise that but it defeats the object.
What object does it defeat? - AFAICS those are the only two ways of achieving the functionality the OP wants. ... he wants to be able to switch on just the accent light (without main light, hence no fan) in the middle of the night, but wants to be able to switch on accent lights, main lights and fan (with one switch) during the day.

Kind Regards, John

How about a 2-way switch. One side of 2-way switches Acc and Main lights, other side of 2-way switches Acc lights only which is then wired in series with a simple 1-way switch.
So 1-way off and 2-way switched to Acc lights only = all lights off, but Acc lights can be switched on with 1-way switch.
2-way switch to Acc and main lights = all lights on.

Doh, just realised, sorry.

How about a 2-way switch. One side of 2-way switches Acc and Main lights, other side of 2-way switches Acc lights only which is then wired in series with a simple 1-way switch. So 1-way off and 2-way switched to Acc lights only = all lights off, but Acc lights can be switched on with 1-way switch. 2-way switch to Acc and main lights = all lights on.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't quite see how that would/could work - can you draw (or explain in more detail) what you mean?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back