Is it possible to knock down the wall?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, looking at another property, which is close to ideal for our needs....

They have what looks like a good, solid, bespoke lean-to conservatory structure running along the back of the house. 2 sliding doors connect it to the made living room, and the part behind the kitchen is separate. We'd be interested in opening this area into one big living room and opening the kitchen into a kitchen-diner (it looks like we might be able to do this without any structure work, as its all window+door).

I guess there are 2 issues:
1. getting the steel beam in so the house does not fall down
2. ensuring it all complies with building regs in terms of insulation etc. - I am hoping the conservatory roof is strong enough to hold all the insulation + tiles etc. it needs to comply with regs.

Based on these pics alone, do you think this might be feasible? There is some radiator plumbing to consider too.... but just want to know, is it possible?

Another idea, if this would cost too much to do, would be to demolish part of the conservatory and build a new room. But this would actually waste some space, leaving dead space that is not well lit. If we make the square living room, we'd also create an extra room at the front.

If I make an offer, I will probably find a structural engineer to come along and assess. So, really just after an idea first.
house with conservatory along the back.png
Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back