Is it time to to ban vintage air shows?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that - as the Bournemouth Air Show is also in progress.

A lot of sports and events are dangerous but is there another where oblivious, uninvolved passers-by may be killed?

few years back there was a crash at the eastbourne air show.
its still goes on.
maybe its because its over the sea.but they still fly in over the downs.

rip to all those who have died.

Sponsored Links
As it happens, I am not sure as to whether they should stop. I have never been to one,or particulary wanted to. But it is a valid discussion. IIRC the planes have been banned from performing stunts above the spectators. Seems particularly tragic that the dead were probably travelling home from a day out at the seaside. Maybe the stunts should only be performed over sea or open countryside, if that is possibe?

As it happens, I am not sure as to whether they should stop. I have never been to one,or particulary wanted to. But it is a valid discussion. IIRC the planes have been banned from performing stunts above the spectators. Seems particularly tragic that the dead were probably travelling home from a day out at the seaside. Maybe the stunts should only be performed over sea or open countryside, if that is possibe?

After some very nasty crash many decades ago, where a plane crashed into the crowd, they changed the rules to only allow the aircraft to fly in front of the crowd. I am surprised this Hawker Hunter was allowed to perform above a major road. Sad that so many had to die, the loss of a beautiful plane is the least of our concerns.

A few people died in road accidents today. Is it the end for vehicles and cycles?
i assume you are referring to road accidents unrelated to this incident
yes the number killed on the roads needlessly far exceed any other cause off death by participants but little effort is spent in relation to numbers involved

i think we need to remember if you use a formula off accidents per man hour off viewing time
there will probably be many passive activities in a similar way where spectators or the innocent get killed

we also need to remember that 50/60/70 year old planes with a similar aged pilots will be more proned to accident regardless off levels off dilligence to procedure and maintainence applied

we also need to remember that 50/60/70 year old planes with a similar aged pilots will be more proned to accident regardless off levels off dilligence to procedure and maintainence applied

Nonsense. But don't let the evidence get in way of your assertion.

This is exactly the way of thinking that has led to the Nanny State, and Elf n' Safety.

i assume you are referring to road accidents unrelated to this incident

Yes, it's averaging at about five deaths every single day. There are also about 100 deaths from paracetamol use annually, and a few from cutting the grass.

I've been following the inane comments on social media, and there are lots of [knee] jerks jumping on the 'ban bandwagon'

I agree.
It would be a sad day when air displays were banned on the grounds of health and safety. It's not as if there are such accidents at every display, in fact I believe they are quite rare really. I can imagine some people suggesting that the regular fly past over Buck House should be cancelled in case one lands on Our Liz.
I do think it would be a good idea for them to take place over the sea or unpopulated land wherever possible, though.

Accidents on or over the airfield are a real danger, but paying guests, on site, agree to the risk (probably unknowingly / uninterestedly).
Peeps on the highway have no place in such risk.
With about 3,400 ft of runway surely the pilot could have measured his theoretical lowest point in the loop to coincide with at least part of that runway ?
Perhaps such displays of ineptitude should be conducted on air fields wit h a decent 'run off' or buffer zone twixt lunacy and normal life as we know it.
Don't let boys loose with their toys where damage can be done - They provide the proof semi regularly... I am betting it is not about giving peeps their monies worth, more about personal ego for the driver, pilots don't take risks do they ??

-0-

A few people died in road accidents today. Is it the end for vehicles and cycles?

Try doing handbrake turns on the motorway, or wheelies along a main road.

It is stupid to have air shows performing acrobatic tricks above populated roads or houses.

They should hold the events in areas where the planes will only crash on fields or otherwise unpopulated land.

Sponsored Links
Back