Is it time to to ban vintage air shows?

Sponsored Links
That said you are right in that most modern fighters are un stable. some are so unstable that it is beyond a pilot's ability to fly them without the computorised control systems that keep the plane flying in the direction the pilot directs it to fly.
Yes, I believe the American F-16 was (is) one of the first like that. No mechanical linkages and instead of a traditional joystick, it has a small handle (like some computer games) on the right side of the seat.

Yes, I believe the American F-16 was (is) one of the first like that. No mechanical linkages and instead of a traditional joystick, it has a small handle (like some computer games) on the right side of the seat.

And these are inherently safer aircraft than the Hunter which crashed.

And these are inherently safer aircraft than the Hunter which crashed.
Yes, they have been very successful for many years now.
Obviously, their computers are more reliable than mine.

Sponsored Links

*If* doesn't cut the mustard.

That was the point.

and the pilot is the guy who's flying the thing.

Pilot's are human, therefore they make mistakes.

With that in mind, would you say holding unnecessary acrobatic tricks above or in the path of populated areas is a good idea?

If you'd read my previous posts on this thread you might have a clue to the answer to that question.

It was reported today by Ed Trimble, of the AAIB that no fault was found that caused the aircraft to crash, this aircraft was not fitted with a flight recorder,
The likelihood of it being pilot error is looking ever real, the manoeuvre was started at too low an altitude.... circa 500 feet too low.
The pilot probably blacked out during the pull up, ( this is caused by the force of gravity draining blood from the brain, leading to unconsciousness) the opposite occurs at the top of an extreme manoeuvre, this is known as a (red out) the blood rushes to the brain, again causing possible unconsciousness.
Possible his G suit was at fault, I'm sure the answer will be found when he is brought out of his induced coma.

Wotan

The simple fact is that attempting a loop as low as that in any aircraft is asking to buy the farm. I don't think you can blame the aircraft for being vintage.

I'm glad, at least, that it was more of an emergency landing than a crash.

The wing broke off, IMO it can be defined as a crash landing :)

The wing broke off, IMO it can be defined as a crash landing :)
Very subtle difference between a "crash landing" and "crashed on landing"

If the wing broke in mid air and that caused the plane to hit the ground. CRASH

if the plane was being flown under control to the landing site and the wing broke due to a very heavy landing then CRASH LANDING

If the plane touched down in one piece and then crashed then that is CRASHED ON (just after) LANDING.

( a cousin was a commercial airline pilot and a "Crashed on Landing" incident could sometimes be blamed on the state of the runway and not the pilot or plane computors )

Be pedantic and call it what you want, to the general public it looks like a crash.
It's not landed in one piece on the airfield it should have.

The fact is, he brought I down in a controlled manner and did not endanger anyone else.

Its not being pedantic to call something by the correct term. I this case it was a 'Crash landing' which means it actually touched down on terra-firma before it lost its wing when it came into contact with the ground. A crash is defined as when something comes into contact forcibly with another object in an uncontrolled manner.

Sponsored Links
Back