Is my boiler flue dangerously close to my extractor vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

please see pic below and can you advise if the flue is too close to vent (i.e. dangerous)? Also is it legal? it's approx 20 cm distance. The vent is an extractor one has a one way valve in the ducting and has flaps at both ends that only open when the fan is on.

20151102_173203.jpg

Thanks
JH

Sponsored Links
The regulations don't differentiate between vents with flaps and those without.,

Normally should be 300 mm space.

But that is unlikely to be seriously dangerous.

Would have been classed as Not to current Standards.

Which was last to be fitted?

Tony

don't know I'm afraid as both were there when I moved in

The regulations don't differentiate between vents with flaps and those without.,

Normally should be 300 mm space.

But that is unlikely to be seriously dangerous.

Would have been classed as Not to current Standards.

Which was last to be fitted?

Tony
if it's not dangerous or illegal then i think i'll leave it as is.

Sponsored Links
Typically the minimum spacing would be 300mm between the two. Certainly very unlikley to be seen as a risk, as said, would have previously just been noted as not to the current standards, but many many fitted the same way with no issues.

sometimes my missus feels a bit nauseous in the kitchen (that's where the boiler is).

Is there any test that can be done to see if there are flue gasses coming back in through the vent? we live in a windy place and sometimes the wind can be quite powerful in the opposite direction of the flue

You could fit a CO alarm in the kitchen, about £15 for peace of mind

If you have gas cooking appliances and your wife feels nauseous get these checked out, any suspison of co poisoning is extremely serious and I would advise not using your gas appliances until they have been investigated.

You could fit a CO alarm in the kitchen, about £15 for peace of mind
have got a carbon monoxide alarm... doesnt go off though

I suspect it's the flue gasses coming through the vent

Will arrange for a gas man to check it out and in the meantime keep the extractor fan on all the time

I would say that with a shuttered fan its most unlikely that any flue gases are coming back in from the boiler.

Using a gas cooker for any significant cooking should always have a window open or use the extract fan because without an adequate air supply then CO gas will be produced.

Make sure that, if you must, you call a gas engineer who is going to bring his flue gas analyser. But that is likely to be a waste of money and if you got a real fussy one he could try to force you to turn off your gas because of the vent being too close!

Will arrange for a gas man to check it out and in the meantime keep the extractor fan on all the time

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid, if you suspect co poisoning STOP using the appliances.

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid, if you suspect co poisoning STOP using the appliances.
appreciate your concern... but i'm pretty sure it relates to the GCB and not the cooker.

reason being that central heating stat kick on at about 7am, missus said that she felt queasy in the kitchen first thing. Also since the boiler has been turned off there has been no ill feeling.

So boiler will remain off until the gas guy can make it (Fri).... although i've got half a mind to just fill in that extractor vent

a) Morning sickness?
b) If she was in kitchen, was she cooking breakfast using grill?
c) To allay fears, get a square bit of wood and screw to wall, blanking of vent.
d) As suggested, practically impossible for fumes to enter a shuttered vent, in sufficient quantity to cause a problem IMO
e) Find a brickie to redo the pointing without it looking like a kid applying lipstick.:)

It all turned out to be a bit of a red herring
I planted the idea in the missus' mind that the vent was too close to the flue. Then the next morning she says she's feeling nauseated in the kitchen and there's a smell. It turned out the Smell was from the Tumble dryer and the nausea was in her mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back