Is my kitchen sink waste pipe too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're fitting a new-to-us kitchen at the moment and I'm trying to fit the waste trap for the sink (1 + 1/2 bowl) and I'm stuck when it comes to fitting the trap. I bought a McAlpine trap from Screwfix but when I try to fit it, the u bend is much lower than the current waste pipe that exits straight out of the wall.

I've taken a couple of pics which might help explain this better:

XXmTsCz.jpg

eSf6JTq.jpg

Is there a means of connecting this up or do I need to remove the current waste pipe and fit it lower?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I don't think it will be too tricky as it goes straight outside.

While I'm at it, should the P trap be beneath the main bowl or is it ok beneath the 1/2 bowl?

Cheers

Better to put it on the main bowl as its lower and larger and will drain quicker.

Sponsored Links
You can do it with a standard "p" trap on small bowl and a trap with nozzle for washing machine on large bowl. The small bowl trap should be alright to connect to existing waste pipe, with just a fall, by using solvent weld fitting with a tee for large bowl trap.

Any plumber worth his salt can do it.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I can't quite get my head around how it would work once the traps are connected up as the trap will be so much lower than waste pipe. Do you fit a p trap to both sinks? This is the kit I bought:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-double-1-bowl-sink-kit-40mm-white/71787

I'm on a tight timescale and my plumber isn't available so trying to do this myself. I'm not too bothered by lowering and moving the waste pipe but if there's a simple alternative, then that would be great.

Cheers

I get that you could use that waste position for the half bowl but the main sink, especially with a spigot for the WM, would definitely be too low for that connection. Looking again the main sink may pick up that connection and then other pieces with a P Trap but it's all to much practically on the same level for my liking. Especially if there isn't an issue to change.

To have one waste outlet to connect to and have one trap, enough pipe length & fall and in the correct orientation from both sink wastes + spigot to avoid the chance of backflow, you would really want to have the waste outlet lower IMO.

Thanks all. I made it lower in the end, wasn't too much trouble except the trap is leaking from the 1/2 bowl but I just need to tweak it when I get home form work

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back