Is my pump faulty?(WB24i Junior)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this problem.
It appears that the pump on my boiler is faulty. All that I have done suggests that this is the case. The water enters the system through the loop without any problem so the system is full.. The pump is getting the required 240v supplied to it. When I switch on the CH the boiler fires up and then after about a minute, maybe less. The pressure gauge starts to fluctuate and there is a tapping/banging noise just before a hissing sound comes from behind the pump from the air vent cartridge, and the boiler, if left alone will go into it's fault mode. Red light flashing once per second.
Now, my friend has a friend that is an examiner for CORGI. He worked for British Gas for over 10 yrs and then worked for Worcester for a number of years before becoming involved with CORGI, so he knows his stuff. I spoke to him and he said that from what I had told him it would appear to be a faulty pump but obviously without testing it he could not guarantee it. Alas, he doesn't get involved in repairs any more. Anyhow, he told me that on my boiler you can sometimes remove the pump, clean it and then it will run again. I did this and it worked. For a day!
The question is, is it my pump that is faulty or could it be something else,

Please help, it will be getting cold soon!

Sponsored Links
You answered your own question, it was cleaned and worked for a day, once they are buggered then its best to change them,and all symptoms you mentioned point to pump as boiler is overheating as it cant get the hot water away fast enough.
Only other problem is that once it has overheated badly several times then sometimes you need to replace the overheat stat.Had this twice in the last week due to broken pumps.

peedee how come last thursday you said you had bought a new 15/60 pump WHYwould you then clean and refit old pump and not the new one.

Yes, I was wondering that!

Didn't you say that you have bought a brand new pump on ebay for £5 or something?

I thought by now you would have it up and running!

Tony

Sponsored Links
No I hadn't bought one at that point and I still haven't, following the advice that I got from someone that knows what they are talking about. It looks as though I will now, or maybe just the thermostats that has now been helpfully pointed out to me by Lagunaglan.
Your advice would be more appreciated than cheap shots though. I thought that that was what this forum was all about, maybe I was mistaken. I suppose when you get replies from folk that use this forum as a "lifestyle" instead of a "resource", you can't expect much else. Hopefully, one day, I will have an answer to a question that you have and I will give it to you without malice or **** taking. Because it's better if we help each other, don't you agree?

So when you say "I have just got a new pump" . That doesn`t mean you have then . And when you say you have 240v at the pump and its not spinning that means it must be a stat.
Yep ok then, it sounds to me that you really mean what you say and know what your talking about. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had got one but when I took the old one off I put it on my bench and put power through it and it worked so I returned the one that I had bought. Is it normal for the pump to work intermittently when it's goosed or is it the thermostat that has gone. . Is there a way of knowing that it has gone without removing it . If I do remove it is it a case of just checking for continuity across it?
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about yet, I wouldn't be here if I did would I. Isn't that the whole point.

Yes your here because you wanted help. The issue is that your posts were either misleading or didn't give the whole story.......that leads the 'helpers' to query whether you are following their advice or want it in the first place.

It annoys the 'helpers' when you make comments that mix up symptoms they have already diagnosed..........change the pump. If that doesn't work change the overheat stat........or call out a competant service and repair engineer........

I had got one but when I took the old one off I put it on my bench and put power through it and it worked so I returned the one that I had bought.

I did not know that you could return anything you bought on Ebay unless it was not as described!

Pumps can do anything when they are partly faulty. I am surprised you have not kept the new one and fitted it as you decided the pump was faulty.

Tony

I am even more confused how can you return a pump that you havent even bought and still havent,. Sounds quite profitable line of busness can i buy into it

I am even more confused how can you return a pump that you havent even bought and still havent,. Sounds quite profitable line of busness can i buy into it
I hadn't bought it at the time of the first post and still haven't cos it's been returned now, so I haven't bought one. Any chance of any help on here?

If you can return it so easily, then presumably you can buy it back again just as easily?

Perhaps the price will have gone up from £5 to £10 in the meantime.

I think that pump sellers call people like Peaday a "timewaster".

When I want a Grunfoss pump they charge about £44 + vat !

Tony

My suppliers charge £44 and a few pennies + vat.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back