Is my so-called wired network card wireless capable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I have a ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE NFORCE2 LAN DDR400, sata.

The store told me some time ago that I have a wired network card which is integrated onto the ASUS motherboard.

I just bought a wireless Linksys WRT54G router. I already have an ADSL modem.

1) Will my wired network card work with the new router?

2) My PC's control panel has the "Wireless Network Set Up Wizard". Does this mean I can move my PC anywhere around my home, given that it will wirelessly network with my router --> modem --> the internet thereon?

3) What are the reasons for having a wireless PCI adaptor card which fits into a PC's available PCI slot? Is it when one has a laptop in a house? Or 2 computers in different parts of a house?

4) How does that ethernet cabling issue work? I understand that the router cable is connected to the modem, and then an ethernet cable connected to a PC for configuration. After settings configuration, that cable's disconnected right?

5) Could you explain what people mean about how a "wireless network adaptor" removes cable probs and drilling/cabling needs -- scenarios would be great.

Still learning the issues. Sorry for the noob qus. :oops:

Thanks in advance,
RS :)

Sponsored Links
To answer your questions,

1) Yes

2) Yes, if you are in range of the router and if the PC has a wireless network adaptor and it has been configured correctly.

3) PCI is just one type of connection. Generally, you could use any available method. USB for example.

4) The router cable is connected to the modem, if they are separate items. However, with ADSL, it's usual for the modem to be an integral part of the router. As the WRT54G is just a wireless router, are you sure that your modem has the ability to connect to it (i.e has an ethernet connection)?

5) Errm, because it needs no cables. :confused:

Hi,

Near enough all pc's these days have an onboard network card (Ethernet Card). The new router you have brought will work with your existing pc but only by using an ethernet cable cable with what you have at the moment. ie: connect modem to router via usb cable or ethernet cable. You can then connect an ethernet cable from your router to your pc.

If you want to move your pc into a different room from your modem and router you can add a wireless pci card to your pc. This will then enable you to connect to the internet from any room in the house without the need to run cables from your router in one room to your pc in another.

The same can be done with a laptop pc. Most new laptops now have built in wireless capabillity but if you have a laptop that does not you can buy a pcmcia card that simply plugs into the side of your laptop.

Your router should have 4 ethernet ports on it (RJ45 ports). This enables you to connect up to 4 computers via ethernet cable (Hard wired) and share bothe files and internet connection.

The same applies with the wireless connection. You can connect multiple wireless machines together providing they each have a wireless card in them.

You can also connect say two machines with pci cards hard wired into your router and a laptop with a pcmcia (Wireless) card and still share files and internet connection with them all.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'll reply properly tomorrow, got a feeling of dejavu coming on

Hey folks,

Thanks alot for the replies and for taking the time to help. Sorry about the noob questions from this novice. This is a whole new world to me :p.

First off, yes, I have a ADSL Ethernet modem, so the connection between my new wireless router and the modem won't be an issue.

About my wired ethernet network card on my PC, I'm now wondering if it is at all wireless capable. My Win XP control panel has that Wireless Capable wizard, but I guess that still doesn't mean that I have a PC with built-in wireless networking support. According to ASUS' website, I have 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi slot for optional wireless LAN upgrade. It also adds that, quote, "The WiFi-b™card with software AP has to be purchased separately." So I guess that wizard means nothing to me, since I don't have that card right now.

1) Am I correct therefore that without a wireless net card, I'm not wireless capable in any regard, and therefore still have to depend on that ethernet cable connection between my PC and router for an internet connection?

2) If I buy a wireless net card and install it to my PC's free PCI slot, I read that the ethernet cable from the PC-side should be removed and connected between the ADSL modem and wireless router, then an ethernet cable should temporarily connect the PC and router, then configuration settings should be changed, and then that the ethernet can be DISCONNECTED for good. Is that what the total "wireless" networking process entails?

3) Should I pursue a Wi-Fi card purchase for the Wi-Fi slot, or because I now have that wireless-G Linksys router, would I get better results from a wireless-G Linksys net card? (Linksys wireless-G net card costs 40 euros here, and I'm unsure about that Wi-Fi card's price. I've Googled a search, but come ablank. Anyone know?)

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it!

Best,
RS :)

Another perfectly good alternative to a wireless adaptor, especially for a desktop (as opposed to a laptop) is a pair of Ethernet-over-mains devices. In my experience these work marvellously, and aren't subject to the security problems of a WLAN.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:
http://www.econnecthomeplug.co.uk/products.aspx

Rollingstone06 said:
Hey folks,

Thanks alot for the replies and for taking the time to help. Sorry about the noob questions from this novice. This is a whole new world to me :p.

First off, yes, I have a ADSL Ethernet modem, so the connection between my new wireless router and the modem won't be an issue.

Can you tell us which one?

Rollingstone06 said:
About my wired ethernet network card on my PC, I'm now wondering if it is at all wireless capable. My Win XP control panel has that Wireless Capable wizard, but I guess that still doesn't mean that I have a PC with built-in wireless networking support. According to ASUS' website, I have 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi slot for optional wireless LAN upgrade. It also adds that, quote, "The WiFi-b™card with software AP has to be purchased separately." So I guess that wizard means nothing to me, since I don't have that card right now.

Correct.

Rollingstone06 said:
1) Am I correct therefore that without a wireless net card, I'm not wireless capable in any regard, and therefore still have to depend on that ethernet cable connection between my PC and router for an internet connection?

Would sound about right.

Rollingstone06 said:
2) If I buy a wireless net card and install it to my PC's free PCI slot, I read that the ethernet cable from the PC-side should be removed and connected between the ADSL modem and wireless router, then an ethernet cable should temporarily connect the PC and router, then configuration settings should be changed, and then that the ethernet can be DISCONNECTED for good. Is that what the total "wireless" networking process entails?

Yes, you need to connect an ethernet cable between the modem and router. You then connect a cable from the PC NIC to one of the router LAN ports to configure the router. Once setup, you can remove the cable between PC and router. It is sometimes possible to configure the router wirelessly, but this is discouraged because of the possibilty that you will lose connectivity and have to reset the router to factory defaults and start again. Post the modem model.

Rollingstone06 said:
3) Should I pursue a Wi-Fi card purchase for the Wi-Fi slot, or because I now have that wireless-G Linksys router, would I get better results from a wireless-G Linksys net card? (Linksys wireless-G net card costs 40 euros here, and I'm unsure about that Wi-Fi card's price. I've Googled a search, but come ablank. Anyone know?)

Why not buy a usb wireless adaptor. Easier to install and move to another PC if needed. PCI adaptors are ok, but most people have their PCs low down or on the floor or in cabinets, and the signal can be quite poor.

Yep, USB adaptor would be way I would go, quite simply far easier to install and you can move it about (most have a six inch lead between USB connection and the actual 'receiver')

Just check it is compatible with your router (ideally buy same brand adaptor as router - easiest way to maximise chances of compatibility, and also ask before you buy)

Igorian said:
Rollingstone06 said:
Hey folks,

Can you tell us which one?

It's an A-LINK RoadRunner 40B.

-- RS

Rollingstone06 said:

Why not buy a usb wireless adaptor. Easier to install and move to another PC if needed. PCI adaptors are ok, but most people have their PCs low down or on the floor or in cabinets, and the signal can be quite poor.[/quote]

Damn, is it so about those PCIs? I was thinking about getting that wireless net card Linksys WMP54G to go with my Linksys WRT54G router. But now I'm wondering about possible, though not certain, weak signal.

On the flip side, I've heard talk about flakey USB.

1) The USB wireless net adaptor would be a Linksys WUSB54G or WUSB54GS. Does the USB adaptor always provide a stronger signal? I've heard man opinions for USB, many against, and the same for PCI cards. It makes my pucrhcase decision harder to make :confused:.

2) Btw, would the WUSB54GS also be compatible with my WRT54G router? (It seems my local net store has run out of the WUSB54G.)

Thanks again for your time, muchos gracias in advance, and plz advise further.

RS ;)

Edit: My PC's tower drive is positioned on the ground in my study room (total size 6 m2), under my study table, next to a wall. It's a half wall, which leads up to a sliding door, which I mainly keep open, which exits into my living room. There are not too many doors in my house. Right now, I plan to put the router and modem in my living room, 5 metres away. If I were to move my PC to my bedroom upstairs, then the router and (future) net adaptor, situated in my living room, would have to negotiate a few corners and bends to get there -- 25 metres away. So, that all considered, shall I go the USB or PCI card route??

Rollingstone06 said:
So, that all considered, shall I go the USB or PCI card route??
Ethernet over mains - similar outlay, maybe even less, no security risk, higher rate, higher reliability, quicker to install.

Softus said:
Rollingstone06 said:
So, that all considered, shall I go the USB or PCI card route??
Ethernet over mains - similar outlay, maybe even less, no security risk, higher rate, higher reliability, quicker to install.

Not tried one myself, so I can't comment on now good or bad they are. I did a quick google and they are about £40.

Rollingstone06 said:
Damn, is it so about those PCIs? I was thinking about getting that wireless net card Linksys WMP54G to go with my Linksys WRT54G router. But now I'm wondering about possible, though not certain, weak signal.

On the flip side, I've heard talk about flakey USB.

1) The USB wireless net adaptor would be a Linksys WUSB54G or WUSB54GS. Does the USB adaptor always provide a stronger signal? I've heard man opinions for USB, many against, and the same for PCI cards. It makes my pucrhcase decision harder to make :confused:.

2) Btw, would the WUSB54GS also be compatible with my WRT54G router? (It seems my local net store has run out of the WUSB54G.)

Thanks again for your time, muchos gracias in advance, and plz advise further.

RS ;)

Edit: My PC's tower drive is positioned on the ground in my study room (total size 6 m2), under my study table, next to a wall. It's a half wall, which leads up to a sliding door, which I mainly keep open, which exits into my living room. There are not too many doors in my house. Right now, I plan to put the router and modem in my living room, 5 metres away. If I were to move my PC to my bedroom upstairs, then the router and (future) net adaptor, situated in my living room, would have to negotiate a few corners and bends to get there -- 25 metres away. So, that all considered, shall I go the USB or PCI card route??

I've installed PCI and USB adaptors and they all vary depending on the layout.

Ask at your shop about compatibility. I've not come across any compatibility problems between the main brands.

Your original modem is actually a modem/router, so, the mode it is running in will determine how you connect it to your second router. You may end up with using one of them as a switch/access point rather than a router.

Sponsored Links
Back