Is our Thermostat broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first post.

It is - 5 outside and our heating is not working properly. We have had our boiler serviced and system drained within the last year, also we have had our pump replaced.

I am now wondering if the thermostat is broken.

the heating comes on, gets to a moderate temperature and then switches off. The radiators upstairs seem to retain heat longer than the ones downstairs. The ones downstairs remain warm at the top but cool towards the bottom. However, when the heating decides to work again they heat through.

Our thermostat is in our hallway(very cold) and it's a dial thermostat - we currently have it turned up to max, but it doesn't prompt the heating to come on for long, just for about an hour or so then the heating clicks off despite what we do (even when the house is still not warm!).

Do you think it's the thermostat that's broken?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How have you determined that the room stat is turning off the heating and not something else. You said the stat is on max. Lots more info needed about your equipment.

tell me what info I need to add as I'm not sure.

It's a drayton thermostat The RTS1 - it is an electronic room thermostat located in our hall. Our boiler has been checked, our pump replaced, radiators flushed out and still the heating clicks off (despite the dial being on 30) and the house does not get warm enough to be comfortable.

Any other info you need?

Sponsored Links
Boiler is an ideal classic gas boiler about twenty yrs old. Timer is acl lifestyle model lp241. No idea about the motorised valves. Boiler is working and in good order, we had it serviced recently. I am sure it's the thermostat that's not working properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back