Is PUMP faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need some help

can't get the heating to circulate and it's cutting out the boiler. I fitted a new rad and think some crap might have got into the system.

The pump is spinning but how can I tell if it's circulating the water efficiently. I just can't get the boiler to circulate water.

How can I clear a blockage? Or test pump, or diverter valve?

Any body in Aylesbury area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah bleed the pump, a tiny amount of air came out, then very small drips.
If there was dirt sludge etc in the system where would it collect?

Thanks

what type of system have you ?
have you one of these ?
imagesug.jpg

or two of thes after the pump ?
imapo.jpg

is the f/e tank filling ok ?
did the rads all bleed ok and water came out ?
have the cylinder flow got a bleed valve on it ?

Sponsored Links
if the pump is hotter than the pipes, it is not circulating

when you remove the big screw you will see the end of the spindle (with some difficulty). it will spin when running, or if you turn it with a screwdriver.

more likely you have air in the system though, so agree about the bleeding.

Is it filled with a mains hose, or from a feed and expansion tank in the loft? If a tank, and you changed a rad, your problem commonly arises due to a blockage preventing refilling.

Bleed the highest radiator in the house and tell us if water squirts out forcefully, and keeps squirting without the pressure dying away.

Do not let the boiler or the pump keep running until you have checked

The pump gets hot and the pipes about a foot above the diverter valve get hot.

I had to fill with a hose as the rads would not fill without it. Now the pressure is good from all rads upstairs now.
Have bleed top radiator and it does not lose pressure.

The system is gravity feed, the top tank is filling fine and I have one 3 way diverter. Top one pictured

thanks for helping guys

I had to fill with a hose as the rads would not fill without it.
that points to a restricted or blocked cold feed to system.

The system is gravity feed, the top tank is filling fine and I have one 3 way diverter. Top one pictured
can you hear the tank filling when you bleed a rad etc ?

The pump gets hot and the pipes about a foot above the diverter valve get hot.
then it is not circulating

...I had to fill with a hose as the rads would not fill without it. ...The system is gravity feed, the top tank is filling fine
if water is going into the F&E tank, but it does not fill the rads, then you most likely have a blockage. It is very common that you first become aware of it after taking a radiator off and trying to refill (e.g. when redecorating).

There is a faint chance you might get the circulation going from your hose fill if you keep bleeding everything. You may have an air lock, most likely in a horizontal pipe, especially if you did not keep bleeding while you filled

where did you attach the filling hose? how much mud is in the F&E? how much sediment came out of the old radiator when you took it off?

p.s. if it is not circulating then a chemical cleaner will not work, as it will not flow to the blockage

The rads would not fill so I put the hose in the tank upstairs and a few airbubbles came out and the system filled up ok. Lots of pressure in all rads.

I know the system had no inhibitar in so rust etc but top tank was not to bad. A few rads and the system was flushed not long ago. And additive introduced. But since I change another rad it became a problem

when I start the boiler it fires up and then I hear gurgiling in pipes, then it cuts really hot on feed from boiler and starts making a kettle noise and boiler cuts out

how can I clear a blockage as connecting a hose from bottom rad did not do anything. Could the diverter valve clog up, explaining the reduced flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back