Is there a lintel there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am wondering if someone could help me?

I am having a side extension built according to building regulations.
the original kitchen window to the outside of the house is coming out to make an entry into the new kitchen.

However it seems that there is no lintel there....The bricks above the soldiers are loose after removing the render to check.

Or would the lintel be under the soldiers from the inside. The pictures were taken from the outside. And the window is on the outside edge.

Sponsored Links
The outer skin will be built directly off the window frame - the dark bricks are half-bricks, used as a soldier course, but decorative rather than structural.
There will be a timber lintel supporting the inner skin.
If the frame is coming out, you will need to insert a lintel to support the brickwork of the outer skin. A concrete lintel will do, or one of the lighter metal lintels.

Sponsored Links
It's possible that you have a boot lintel. This shaped like a boot and the "leg" side supports the inner skin and the outer soldier course has the back side trimmed to fit on the toe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back