Is there a shallow wastetrap suitable for a washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a leaky waste trap on my washing machine that looks a bit like this one -> http://www.livsupplies.co.uk/product_desc5.php?id=941.

Now, I happen to be wanting to tile the floor in the room where the waste is situated. The existing waste pipe goes through the wall at a height of about 115mm (from the floor to the base of the pipe as it exits the house). This means that the trap itself is basically touching the floor - there's about a 2mm gap. This means it's impossible to tile beneath it. There was a carpet (!) in the utility room of the thinnest carpet material I've ever seen but that's now gone.

So my question is, is there an alternative trap I can use that will allow me to have the pipe still exit the house using the same hole but will give me 25mm or so space so that I can tile beneath it? Preferably something for a novice DIYer (my limit so far is plumbing in a new tap) and that is unlikely to leak over time? It's a fairly new house so needs a 75mm water seal.

...or should I turn the exit elbow over so that it points up instead of down and fit an S trap into it?

Sponsored Links
@seco - yes, I think so. Vertical 40mm pipe about a metre long that the hose hooks into followed by P trap then out through the wall into the drain outside.

@swbjackson - si it would be OK to have my vertical pipe down, an s-trap, then a 90 degree elbow (pointing upwards and out of the wall) into the drain?

Sponsored Links
only the 90 bit pointing up.

Hard to describe but I'll try to draw the directions with asterisks. The line is the wall

*.................|
*.................|
*.................|
*.................|
*.....****...|
*.....*.....*...|
*.....*.....*...|
*****.....***** -> drain

s trap on left connecting to 90 elbow to drain

For simplicity i'd get yourself a new washing machine trap and a 90deg bend (or 2). Fit the new trap higher up the wall, then the use the 90 bends to turn the waste downwards from the trap outlet and out through the wall.

@Hugh

That's what I've gone with. The thing that's annoying me now is they use compression fittings and I can't get the damn things tight enough to stop them dripping :(

Any tips?

Cant quite work out what you've done there, but I suspect you're trying to get parts to fit together that aren't designed to fit together! If you bought that complete i'd take it back! Compression waste is universal, it should tighten sufficiently onto any material (provided its near enough the right size) to make a joint. It looks like you may be trying to mate a compression coupling with the trap, that may be where part of the problem lies.

I appreciate you've bought a few bits to get that far, but personally i'd start again.... Ditch the trap arrangement and fit another bend to get the pipe back to horizontal, then fit a standard washing machine trap. Clip it to the wall otherwise the movement from the machine pumping out is likely to wobble the whole affair and it'll leak again.

Worth noting if using push fit pipe and fittings, not all manufacturers products are compatible, and solvent weld wont work with pushfit pipe.

@Hugh

I think you may be right.

When shopping around I spotted a waterless trap called a Senzo. Do you think this would be suitable in line with two pieces of 40mm pipe and then into the push fit 90 degree elbow?

From what I can see, it's fine for washing machines, a lot neater and I think push fit at both ends.

The brochure for it is at http://www.wirquin.com/FICHES PDTS GB/VIDAGES/SENZO.pdf

When shopping around I spotted a waterless trap called a Senzo.
As previous....fit a HepV0 waterless trap.
23112011094610_2.jpg

I managed to get something very similar to the Hepvo from a local plumbers merchant. I also bought some new pipework and 90 degree connectors.

Can you guess what cockup I made this time?

I bought 40mm solvent weld pipe and the trap uses 40mm push fit connectors. Stupidly, I thought these would fit together and the chap I spoke to didn't say otherwise. Of course, now I realise the the 40mm pipe has a 42 or 43mm external diameter and won't fit into the damn trap.

Is there a reducer or something for solvent weld to link to pipe that's smaller or that will go directly into a push fit? I still have a bit of the old pipe left, which is the slightly smaller size and fits perfectly but I really want to use the solvent weld for the bits that are out of site and where I won't be able to spot a leak until its too late.

Who knew that 40mm means so many different sizes? (answer: everyone but me!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back