is there a way to tell if new wheel bearings have been fitted???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,i put my car in the garage a few days ago as the drivers side was making a whirring sound,,,wheel bearing I thought,,,so the mechanic rings and says the passenger one is on its way out aswell do you want me to do it???,,,so I agree to get both sides done and tell him to check the cv boots aswell as last time it had an mot the advisory said will need new cv boot sometime soon,,,so I pick the car up and the mechanic tells me oh yeah there was a tiny split in the passenger side cv boot but its ok theres nothing coming out of it so I just left it??? now if you had it all stripped off anyway surely you would put a new cv boot on,,,common sense isn't it,,,which leads me to believe the reason he didn't put one on is the passenger side was never stripped off and he charged me for an extra wheel bearing that wasn't done,,,so I wonder is there any way I can tell if it has been done??? what your thoughts on this anyone???

Sponsored Links
A difficult one.....the first thing I'd look for is disturbance of the driveshaft nut - it's easy to tell if it's been shifted!
Other than that there's not much of the bearing you can see without the driveshaft removed. Naturally enough, that's when the CV boot should have been done had the mechanic remembered!
Didn't he offer to show you the old bearings?
John :)

What car is it? He might have pulled the hub off leaving the driveshaft in place

no mate I never seen any old bearings,,,but he could have showed me two wheel barrow bearings and I wold have been none the wiser lol,,,i tell ye honest mechanics are like rocki horse ****e,,,the two big nuts are nice new shiny ones but anyone can screw a nut on I suppose,,,next question are those cv boots that come in two pieces any good??? ye know the type what glue together???

Sponsored Links
Sonofrob: What sort of car is it? If it's front wheel drive then it will have at least 4 'boots', and they all often get called CV boots. The drivers side driveshaft is usually one which also has an 'intermidate bearing' (or CV joint) which has a boot (or gaiter) (or two) attached which is harder to replace than the one on the back of the wheel.

Make/model will help a lot, plus anything you remember as to where they said the split boot is (Outside, inside, Gearbox, intermediate etc)

Peugeot 306 front wheel drive,,,the split is in the passenger side gaiter nearest the wheel,,,like right on the back of the hub,,,

Forget about the split type repair boots mate, absolute crap they are.
On the 306 the near side driveshaft is the short one and it's easy to replace the boot with the driveshaft still stuck in the gearbox, but the bottom swivel has to be split to allow the hub to come off the CV.
You could see if the bearing is new with the driveshaft out of course -it would be clean with a new circlip.
(You can't see this from under the vehicle unfortunately - it's too recessed).
If you want a new boot fitted, at least things have been taken apart recently, so it should be quite a swift job.

As an aside what are opinions on the stretch cv boots the ones that go over the cv joint without having to take the joint off the shaft, I've never had a problem with inner ones its always the outers which have a bigger arc to flex around

I've fitted quite a few, and sometimes it's a bit of a battle, but I've never split one which shows the material they are made from is incredibly elastic! They reform to their original shape afterwards, too.
Plenty of lube is the secret here.
If I had the choice I'd still rather knock off the outer joint if possible, but some of the smaller French cars have a one piece driveshaft at the outer end.

The Citroen ZX had outer CV joints which didn't come off the shaft so it's a good bet the 306 will be the same. Use a stretchy boot with the cone and lots of lube

Sponsored Links
Back