Is there such a thing as a part p cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I know the answer must be in one of the many long Part P threads, TL;DR as they say.

I got an electrician (validated on www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk) to fit an new consumer unit, I got only the 3 page domestic electrical installation certificate (DCP5).

Should I get some certificate that is specifically for part p purposes.

I another house I had the supply to an aux consumer unit, supplying fire alarms and a 13A socket upgraded, it was on a 1.0 CSA spur, now it is on its own 1.5 CSA cable from the meter. Again all done by registered competent person, again I have the NIEEIC cert but nothing part p specific.

Should I kick up a fuss to get these things or are they available online somewhere?

Sponsored Links
I got an electrician (validated on www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk) to fit an new consumer unit, I got only the 3 page domestic electrical installation certificate
Should I get some certificate that is specifically for part p purposes.(DCP5).
You should have received a Certificate of Compliance from the registration scheme - NICEIC ???

I another house I had the supply to an aux consumer unit, supplying fire alarms and a 13A socket upgraded, it was on a 1.0 CSA spur, now it is on its own 1.5 CSA cable from the meter.
I hope not.

Again all done by registered competent person, again I have the NIEEIC cert but nothing part p specific.
As above IF notifiable. If not a new circuit then NO.

Should I kick up a fuss to get these things or are they available online somewhere?
Contact the scheme for the CU replacement work.

You should have received a Certificate of Compliance from the registration scheme - NICEIC ???
Nope, but I just found you can search by address on the niceic website, it is there but they want a tenner to send it to me, do they charge the electrician, hence his reluctance?

I hope not.
Do you mean before or after?

A fully qualified electrician put a new mini consumer unit on what was a low current supply to an door entry intercom, when I got the flat safety checked it failed on having a 10A spur feeding a consumer unit which in turn supplied a 13A socket.

I had the second consumer unit put on its own supply from the meter.

As above IF notifiable. If not a new circuit then NO.
Just changing the source of an existing spur really, so ordinarily not notifiable, but as it is a feed to a CU and one that supplied fire alarms and emergency lights, does that promote it to notifiable?

Ta

Chris

Nope, but I just found you can search by address on the niceic website, it is there but they want a tenner to send it to me, do they charge the electrician, hence his reluctance?
Do they think you require a replacement rather than have not received the original?
You should not have to pay for it.

I hope not.
Do you mean before or after?
I read it as you had 1.5mm² conductor into the meter.

Just changing the source of an existing spur really, so ordinarily not notifiable, but as it is a feed to a CU and one that supplied fire alarms and emergency lights, does that promote it to notifiable?
It could be argued that it was not notifiable if the CU was there before.

Sponsored Links
He was legally obliged to notify the work through them, they are legally obliged to send you the certificate.

They cannot ask you to pay for it.

I had the second consumer unit put on its own supply from the meter.
now it is on its own 1.5 CSA cable from the meter.
Dear god. That's a death trap.

but I just found you can search by address on the niceic website, it is there but they want a tenner to send it to me, do they charge the electrician, hence his reluctance?
If it's listed on the website, it must have been notified - no other way for the details to get there.
The fee is for a duplicate certificate, intended for when the original has been lost.

How long ago was the work done - the certificate is sent by post from NICEIC once the contractor has notified them, so it may take a few days or a week after the actual work was done. The certificate will NOT arrive with the electrical installation certificate.

I another house I had the supply to an aux consumer unit, supplying fire alarms and a 13A socket upgraded, it was on a 1.0 CSA spur, now it is on its own 1.5 CSA cable from the meter. Again all done by registered competent person, again I have the NIEEIC cert but nothing part p specific.
Is there any chance that you could upload scans or photos of that certificate for us to see?

Kind Regards, John

Getting me worried now!

Job 1 - New consumer unit.

Just on a year ago now and no Part P cert, it is a BTL so my guess is if NICEIC sent the cert to the tenant, I can imagine where that got filed.

So I will pay the tenner and get a copy - sorted.

Job 2 - Improve consumer unit supply.

It is a 1st floor flat with a consumer unit in the kitchen and the meter down in the hallway, originally a 6A MCB 1.0 CSA feed from the flat went back down to the hallway to power the entry intercom and a socket intended for cleaning (all before my time).

A full on fire alarm system and emergency light system was fitted (full NICEIC cert and environmental health sign of for grant), as part of this they fitted an aux consumer unit in the hallway to feed the new ccts, intercom and cleaners socket.

The used the existing 6A feed to power the new consumer unit. Not exactly dangerous, but at the very least a dumb fuse value hierarchy.

When I got my flat safety checked (see not all landlords are cowboys :) ), they picked up the odd cct and said it was not ideal. The solution was to isolate this cct and to power the second consumer unit from the flats meter in the hallway which is only about 30 cm from the new consumer unit anyway.

I know it is safe - I work in SW now but I was a electrical engineer by training.

I believe it follows current regulation and customs - I used a competent/registered electrician.

The mystery of what should be notified escapes me, with my engineers hat on, anything safety critical like an alarm system would seem notifiable, but who knows what the govt had in mind when they dreamed this debacle up.

If I moan enough I guess the electrician can notify it anyway - will that incur a cost?

Chris

The mystery of what should be notified escapes me, with my engineers hat on, anything safety critical like an alarm system would seem notifiable, but who knows what the govt had in mind when they dreamed this debacle up.
Well may you ask! Whatever was in their minds when they dreamed up notification of electrical work in the first place, in April 2013 they further dramatically reduced (in England, but not Wales) the number/type of electrical jobs which were notifiable. Since then, the only things which remain notifiable (in England) are the replacement of a CU, the installation of a 'new circuit' (and even the definition of that is debated) and certain works in certain specified parts of bathrooms etc - and that's a about it.

Kind Regards, John

So as an electrical engineer by training you think that a 1.5mm² cable protected by the DNO's service fuse is safe?
I realise that, if we're understanding correctly what the situation is (and it does seem hard to believe!), no sane person would seek to invoke it in this situation - but what about 433.2.2 ?

Kind Regards, John

I know it is safe - I work in SW now but I was a electrical engineer by training.
So as an electrical engineer by training you think that a 1.5mm² cable protected by the DNO's service fuse is safe?

That's not how I read it. To me, he says that the aux. consumer unit in the hall is fed from the original feed from the flat, which is protected by a 6A MCB.

"The[y] used the existing 6A feed to power the new consumer unit. "

I have the answer now, I got the tenant to email me a photo, it is better than expected, when I was discussing this on the phone with the electrician we talked about 1.5 CSA (maybe he said 2.5), but it seems he fitted proper cables anyway.

You can see the new thick grey cables coming out of the connection lower right, going thru the check meter I had fitted at the same time and on to the aux consumer unit.

I am pretty sure about a foot of 1.5 CSA not buried in a wall would have easily supplied a single 13A socket + some mA for the alarm system. But as I said, I don't practice but know to pay someone who does.

And before anyway says fireproof cabinet, that is a 3 year ongoing sore point with the managing agent...

Chris

May be the auxiliary CU is fed from the large grey cables, but there appears to be a 1.5mm and a 2.5mm flex both protected only by the service fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back