Is there such a thing as a plug-in light for a shaver socket

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by tharding, 31 Oct 2011.

1. tharding

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a dual voltage shaver socket in my en-suite shower room and I wondered if there was such a thing as a plug-in light, either 110v or 240v that could safely be plugged into the shaver socket (there isn't enough room for a shaver light due to a sloping ceiling). :confused:

2. OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any useful light would probably be too powerful to be powered by the shaver socket output. It would need to be wired in to the shaver socket supply side.

Shaver-lights don't have to go above the mirror though (in fact they're useless for shaving there as men need the chin illuminated, so side lighting or even a light below the mirror is better)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shaver sockets are (nominally) happy to deliver 20watts.

I have a 2-pin 5watt night light that I bought in France. I plug it into the shaver socket in a bathroom when we have folk staying. It has a photocell so the light only comes on at night.

Works well but I plan to change it for a ceiling LED lamp and PIR when the room is refurbished so there is a low-level light over the loo that only comes on at night when someone enters the room.

• Thanks Thanks x 1