Is there such a thing as an extra deep celing rose?

Sponsored Links
How many cables are being joined at that ceiling rose ?

By cable I mean 2 ( or 3 ) wires plus earth wire in a outer sheath.

Word of caution. If the lid is compressing wires when it is screwed in place you might be damaging the insulation on the wires. This could cause an immediate fault or one that happens later.

There is so much wiring crammed into mine I had trouble screwing the "lid" back on!
Which could suggest you have too much grey cable on show - or you are overloading the ceiling rose. I can normally fit five T&E cables comfortably in the standard ceiling rose - how many have you got in this one.

What I need (but cannot find) is a deeper celing rose. Anyone know of such a thing?
The issue is less about depth and more about terminal availability.

Which looks like a standard ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Wow that was quick! It's three wires, connected using a terminal block. It's really tight for space in there.

Here's a pic of the celing. I think it's plasterboard, but I am not sure, I am DIY Plank after all!! Perhaps you can tell me?

Wow that was quick! It's three wires, connected using a terminal block. It's really tight for space in there.
In which case you should have loads of space - just ensure that the grey insulation doesn't protrude into the ceiling rose. As for terminal block - does the inside of the plastic ceiling rose look like this

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/03ec/0900766b803ec99f.pdf

Or is it different?

Here's a pic of the celing. I think it's plasterboard, but I am not sure, I am DIY Plank after all!! Perhaps you can tell me?
The plastic ceiling rose looks standard - the surround looks like a plaster 'ceiling rose'.

The inside looks like your link.

In which case if you have three cables then you have the live/neutral/cpc loop (2 cables) and the switch wire - there should be no issues about not having enough space in the ceiling rose.

You should look at Wiki to show you how the cables are connected to the terminal blocks.

Let's have a picture of the inside of yours and you will get sugesstions on sorting it out

Martin

Use an Ashley rose pattress and a Klik rose, that way all the wiring is tucked behind the plate in the pattress and the light is attached on the plug side.

Come on we are only dealing with three cables into this ceiling rose - unless its an unusual cable size - there is more than adequate space to fit inside a standard ceiling rose.

Come on guys. do not be too hard on DIYplank. It takes a bit of practise to get the wires neatly placed in a ceiling rose.

How about a photo of tidy wiring in a ceiling rose to show how it is done. I would but my camera is out of order ( OK I admit it .... my roses are not tidy )

I only asked for a photo because for some reason I suspect he has chockblok in there which is why the lid won't go on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back