Is this a Gas or Water Copper pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for some advice/clarification on a copper pipe sticking out floorboards (22mm or 28mm cant remember) .

Moved into house couple of year ago and had a gas fire/back boiler removed and central heating put in with a new boiler put up in a cupboard up stairs.

Middle of decorating living room, so I stripped out some boxed off sections in the alcoves next to fireplace that have been housing copper pipes leading up through the house to loft where old tanks had been.

I have removed the copper pipes, but left with this pipe sticking out of floor. My initial thoughts that it must be a water pipe and was attached to some sort of water pump for the backboiler, (no idea how back boilers work to be honest).

Not sure why the guys never capped it off below in the first place, but does this cap look like something you would use on a Gas pipe?

I lifted up the floor boards since taking the pics and the pipe on other side of T joint(?) from what i can make out looks smaller in diameter goes through brick work leading to kitchen. Other pipe goes way back down full length of room, so definitive answer from that.

If I call someone out would they cap it off further down the pipe or at the T joint? Just so I know want work is involved, if need a gas safety guy out and not getting charged for 'having to use a left handed wrench to access it.'

Thanks

This really could have been asked in one paragraph.

IMG_20160606_202904.jpg

IMG_20160606_202929.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry the only way is to trace the pipes back to where the come from. Copper fittings are the same for gas and water. Hopefully it is water as putting compression joints under the floor as in your second picture is a no-no for gas.

Might be better to come at it the other way and try to trace your gas supply from the meter through the house.

Thanks for the quick reply Footprints.

I was hoping could identify it from the cap and joint.

Checking it from the gas meter end be a bit difficult as it sits in a small cupboard which is located within a small cupboard under the stairs, so tight space and same location as where the main electricity feed comes into the house and the flooring on floorboards are like super glue.

I will rip up couple more floor boards up and see if I can squeeze underneath and follow the pipe back the way. mask and headlamp will need to be looked out.

cheers

Tell someone where you are going, so they can dial 999 if you are not back in a while!:eek:

Sponsored Links
No worries, i will hook myself up to a rope with a knot every 10 metres. Will take spare torch as well.

If I remember rightly there was only a small opening in the brick work to get through into the hall way where I think this copper pipe may be linking up to others

Hoping I am lucky and the gas pipes at the meter end are visible from same room, or see a feed coming off the this pipe going into radiator in livingroom?

If this is Gas will the compression joint you mentioned need to be changed then? I have a plasterer coming on Friday and furniture getting delivered so hoping its no gas then.

Take it a Gasman would still need to follow the pipe work back before working on this pipe?

The problem is a gas man can turn off the gas before undoing the cap and if it is empty the smell will be a big clue! Trouble is if it is full of water things can get messy, so tracing is the best way to go. If it is gas really compression fittings should only be used in accessible areas. Strictly it should be soldered joints only underfloor so it would be best to strip back to a soldered joint. If it turns out the supply has been disconnected elsewhere and the cap is just to stop the old pipe smelling then compression joints are not a issue.

Just pulling up flooring to find big enough gap to force my big arse under.

Found this other pipe toleft and down from it. Some sort of tap on it.

Will follow original pipe best I can. Once down there. Just trying save money if I can do donkey work before calling someone out.

I have put heating in and none of these pipe are hot but guess doesn't mean nothing.

Thanks again.

Well I am hedging my bets on it is/was a gas pipe.

It forks as it passing through the next wall one heading upwards and the other fork continues on and then turns and disappears around corner.

There was no way I was fitting through that gap to follow it round, but it heading towards where gas Meter is located.

Our water comes from the opposite side of the house as water pipes go all the way into the loft and down into the new combi boiler, plus the last picture a posted was warm to touch further along.

So either I box in the pipe again or call gasman (corgi to keep me right) out to cap it below. We talking prices range up to £50 for this type of job?

Again thanks for your help footprints.

If thats a gas pipe with the white speedfit cap you NEED to get it sorted. These fittings are not for gas.

If thats a gas pipe with the white speedfit cap you NEED to get it sorted. These fittings are not for gas.

No gigz the pipe with white cap was from under the next set of floorboards I lifted up. When I was underneath that pipe did feel warmer further up so must be water.

The original pic must be gas.

TBH it will be very quick for an RGI to determine the contents of the pipe one way or t'other. Phone someone local - NOT the big No Call Out Fee Ads, they will screw you.

Check on gas Safe for someone near you:
https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

Explain your situation, maybe even refer to this site, he may be a user and able to see the photos. He will obviously not be able to provide a quote (length of string etc), but, IMO, it is okay to ask him HOW he charges. We all have different charging structures and rates. I, for one, would rather "lose" a job on the phone, rather than have the embarrassment if the client having a different cost expectation than I deliver.

TBH it will be very quick for an RGI to determine the contents of the pipe one way or t'other. Phone someone local - NOT the big No Call Out Fee Ads, they will screw you.

Check on gas Safe for someone near you:
https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

Explain your situation, maybe even refer to this site, he may be a user and able to see the photos. He will obviously not be able to provide a quote (length of string etc), but, IMO, it is okay to ask him HOW he charges. We all have different charging structures and rates. I, for one, would rather "lose" a job on the phone, rather than have the embarrassment if the client having a different cost expectation than I deliver.

Hi FiremanT,

Was also more in case I call a guy out and he turns round and say he needs to lift floor boards up and start costing more for his time. least now flooring and boards are up if he does need more access.

I have been looking at that website the last couple of days. What do you think of these mybuilder, findatrader websites? You post a job and you get quotes off tradesman? According to one of the websites see similar work already been carried out in my area and they check out on gassafe register. Or are these sites a lot of mince?

Aye i know prices vary, your just no wanting someone taking the **** and also make sure you got enough to pay the guy.

cheers.

The problem with CAT et all, is that the tradesguy pays to talk to you. Ie, he pays for leads and possibly monthly fees. You will prob eventually get 3 guys on the phone, touting for business. You then presumably have to go back on the site and check their reviews. Allegedly,it is difficult, if not impossible to leave a bad review. (I have never actually looked at it). It will be impossible to give a price to move that pipe, as we don't know of it is gas or water. If pushed for a guaranteed price, I would assume all the potential problems, so you would probably end up paying more.
Have a google for reviews on these sites, you will find a mixed response.
Also, you are under time pressures, so picking up the phone in the morning direct to a RGI will probably be quicker.

I was just reading how these sites work and reviews on moneysavingexpert. Mixed reviews both from customers and trademen themselves.

Seems to be a bit hit and miss, guess like anything whether their been recommended by family or phoning out from yellow pages, no guarantees.

I posted a job with pics on one the sites anyway see what comes of that and I will phone a few local ones tomorrow. Just wondering for some its too small a job.

oh the joys of old houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back