Is this a rip off or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
We got a quote from a plumber that my sister knows and he has quoted over 3 grand for supplying and fitting a new shower, bath, sink and a toilet. Tiles and tiling are extra, skip for rubbish extra and around £500 could be extra depending on any building work needing doing when he rips out the old stuff :rolleyes:
Are we being ripped off or not :?:
Any help would be helpful :LOL:
Maybe we will try and diy ourself, what do you think :idea:

Sponsored Links
Jesus, the last bathroom I fitted was more than that - and it was mates rates.

Bloody nice bathroom suite though...

Builder, tiles, electrics, and chippy all extra.

I would think your attitude towards protential tradesmen need addressing.,

No, his labour cost is £900 and the rest should be for an ordinary white corner shower (using our own shower fitting!) smaller bath, sink and toilet and it includes taps on the sink and bath :!:
Hubby just wishes he were a plumber instead of a mechanic ;)

Sponsored Links
shirlz said:
Hubby just wishes he were a plumber instead of a mechanic ;)
Shirley you have got to be kidding?!

£50+ for an MOT! No parts required! Overheads for the rolling road and an assistant to say "yes, yes, yes, yes" when testing the lights, other than that nothing whatsoever. Grrr. :evil:

If your sister trusts this plumber, then use him. If she doesn't, then find one that someone you know already does trust.

:LOL: :LOL:

Left a bit, right a bit... My mechanic drives a hell of a lot nicer car than I do...

Whats your problem? He has said £900 for labour so the rest is materials.

Softus said:
£50+ for an MOT! No parts required! Overheads for the rolling road and an assistant to say "yes, yes, yes, yes" when testing the lights, other than that nothing whatsoever. Grrr. :evil:

The assistant is not necessary!

I have seen one which used a mirror ( low tech ).

And another with a CCTV and monitor ( higher tech )

Both enable a one man test of lights.

However, they do need a second man to waggle the steering wheel but sometimes I have done that.

Tony

Agile said:
The assistant is not necessary!
The presence (or not) of the assistant is entirely incidental to the point I was making. :rolleyes:

shirlz said:
We got a quote from a plumber that my sister knows and he has quoted over 3 grand for supplying and fitting a new shower, bath, sink and a toilet. Tiles and tiling are extra, skip for rubbish extra

I'm just doing my bathroom myself , about halfway through. My new suite , bath , sink , wall hung wc with cistern and shower door for the shower bath cost just about a £1000 , i've probably spent at least another £400 on piping, fittings , bit's and bobs etc. This doesn't include the shower which i've yet to purchase or any tiling at all.

To me , not being a plumber , it sounds a fair price as it includes the suite and if i had to charge for what i'm having to do i'd add a grand easily !! It's no fun , it's hard work. I'd pay the man if i had the cash

Thanks all for your comments :rolleyes:

I have to say that I do not mind and have nothing against anyone making and earning a decent living......just not making a bundle offa me :rolleyes: and simply had to bite the bullet and get him in to do it all, although he could've told us to get a bank loan first ;)

My hubby wished he made a packet on mechanicing, but not round here and not all mechanics do MOT's, just so ya know :evil:

Heehee....We can see Dan who wears the trousers in your house now :LOL: :LOL:

Muah Shirlz

You sound desperate, dan. (you look a bit like him as well having seen your pic)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back