is this a rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a qoute to install a central heating system in a 3 bedroom, two lounge house which involved eight rads powered by a vokera unica 28he gas boiler. While the work was being done the fitter said he had a new model boiler that would cover the pipes and look neater in the kitchen and all the tech specs were the same. The boiler fitted was a vokera syntesi 25E and I have now seen on the vokera website that this is a discontinued model. I am also worried my shower will not work on a 25KW boiler. Is this a rip off or is it acceptable? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Did you agree to have that model fitted or were you not asked.As for bring ripped off it depends how much you were charged!

beehive1 said:
...the fitter said he had a new model boiler that would cover the pipes and look neater in the kitchen and all the tech specs were the same. The boiler fitted was a vokera syntesi 25E and I have now seen on the vokera website that this is a discontinued model.
If that what he said, and if it is indeed discontinued, then he's either wrong or lying. Some people are capable of lying in order to shift old stock.

Having said that, if the boiler looks and is good, and the warranty is intact, and you have some kind of certificate from the boiler installater, and you're happy, then I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

25Kw combi should run one shower ok, but as for filling a bath in mid cold winter :mad: Personaly I do not think this is acceptable. I always give an itemised quote. This forms part of an agreement that I stick to and so does the customer. Did you get any form of price reduction form the original quote for this lesser boiler?

I would perhaps not go quite as far as saying you have been 'ripped off' as we on here do not know both sides of the story, but would certainly say it is a 'questionable' install :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The boiler is older than the Unica but it not a discontinued model and in my experience it is actually a better boiler than the Unica............25kw will be fine for bathing and showering.

The obvious think for the OP to do would be to ring a couple of heating merchants and get supply prices for each boiler model and see if there is any significant price difference ( either way).

I do have to say that I would not have wanted a 25 kW combi fitted if I had specified a 28 kW but the difference is only about 12% I suppose.

Tony

Agile said:
The obvious think for the OP to do would be to ring a couple of heating merchants and get supply prices for each boiler model and see if there is any significant price difference ( either way).

I do have to say that I would not have wanted a 25 kW combi fitted if I had specified a 28 kW but the difference is only about 12% I suppose.

Tony

compare the flow rates toni and there is nothing in it.

I would disagree there!

Whilst I admit some boilers might difffer slightly in their efficiency in the generality 25 kW will heat 12% less water than 28 kW.

There is also a tendency for manufacturers to quote rather unbelieveable figures like the Potty puma 9.8 li/m whereas all other 24 kW boilers give 9.3 li/min.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back