is this abestos pipe lagging in garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have just started cleaning out my garage ready for it to be converted into a bedroom and i have noticed some suspect looking pipe lagging and have had to halt the clean up operation until i know what this stuff is

I know asbestos has been used for pipe insulation but from what i read it was rarely used in residential homes

Any ideas people ?

Sponsored Links
Looks like the Old style Felt Pipe lagging to me . Same material as Carpet Underlay. :confused:

mLnN2exOMoY4fUCqvs2xVkA.jpg

thank you for your opinion i would say from comparing the two i think you may be right but how do i go about finding out for sure, what is the done thing.

Thats the old felt pipe lagging, stitched into tubes and available in coils......all they had in the 50s / 60s.
Asbestos pipe lagging was much thicker and it had a smoothed outer finish - found in schools, hospitals and other commercial premises.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Its not asbestos but Still wear a dust mask if you disturb it. Its nasty throat irritating stuff especially when its old and dry. Youll be coughing for days if you breathe the dust from it in.

Thanks for the replies I'm now satisfied that its not asbestos and can carry on with my project :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back